We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

govener tying

Kitty Cat chat area, almost anything goes but keep it clean and snowmobile related.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

zachsdad

govener tying

Post by zachsdad »

I would like to tie the govener open on my sons Kitty Cat but am not totally sure on the procedure.I read some where about a tie wrap in the spring,but would like some more info.Is the govener used for speed control or rpm limiting,and would this lead to the engine grenading if held open for a long time?We bought a 98 for our 6 year old and he loves it,but a little more speed would be great.I am running premium fuel and semi synthetic oil in it,and am going to change the plug to a BRP6HS as mentioned on this site.Thanks,Bill
harryparatestis

Post by harryparatestis »

run a small zip tie through the center of the governor spring, and cinch it up so the spring wont stretch, thats all it takes and it will definately go a couple miles an hour faster :-)

Zip Tie

Post by Guest »

You should also re-Gear so the engine does not rev too high, plus you can get more speed. Go to a small gear on the drive sprocket. You may need to take a link out the chain or move the motor forward (Loosen the motor bolts and move engine forward, or move engine backward and press a link out of chain.)

You can also buy a large tooth clutch/sprocket to add more speed.

Also make sure all of the idler wheels are cleaned and greased to reduce rolling resistance. Some people replace them with the wheels that have the actual bearings to reduce rolling resistance.

Make sure track is not too tight.

Re-jet carb to 70 main. Makes it run cleaner.

Make sure the throttle cable does not have any slack. This helps to fully open up the carb.
ttw_walman

Kitty cat governor

Post by ttw_walman »

I just bypassed my sons governor. The only problem I found with just zip tying the spring is he got no resolution out of the throttle. Squeeze it a quarter of an inch and your at full throttle.
What I ended up doing was to make a small linkage to replace the spring. Then I removed the linkage from the carb and governor arm. Drill a small hole about 2/3 way down the governor arm and make a linkage from there to the carb. Last but definatly not least loosen the nut that holds that arm on the governor shaft and put a small hose clamp on the shaft to keep the arm from falling off. Now my son can actually drive around at different levels of throttle. By the way, I used a coat hangar to make all of my linkages
harryparatestis

Post by harryparatestis »

Hey ttw_walman, I would like to see that combo, I have been using the zip method and sometimes I leave it a little slack. My kid only knows one speed-wide open, I just hate the fact that it makes the htrottle stiff email a pic or 2 if you can.. Thanks Kevin sledgod@comcast.net

Post by Guest »

I'll post a picture early next week. I don't have a digital camera yet but I can borrow one from work. The whole modification takes less than a half hour. That includes pulling the dash and the chain cover.

Post by Guest »

WOuld like to see that Pict also. email me at awickman@chartermi.net
Vinman

Set-Up

Post by Vinman »

I would like to be on the list for the pictures of that too...
vin.arcari@charter.net
Travolta

Post by Travolta »

I would like a photo also, if you have time?
Thanks!
jimbo26

Post by jimbo26 »

Could you e-mail me a pic or two also, please.
jimshell26@sbcglobal.net
Jonn

RE: Governor bypass instructions

Post by Jonn »

If you go to www,obups,com and look at the lower right picture, or click on the link below (if it works) you'll see instructions on bypassing the governor. From the website click on the picture for a blown up view.

http://obups/images/Govenor%20bypass.JPG
Jonn
Olson Brothers
http://obups
651-395-2296
corman

govenor bypass

Post by corman »

Does anyone still have any pics of that govenor bypass setup that ttw_walman posted, that they could email me. musipuk@mts.net
zrt594

Governor function

Post by zrt594 »

I think I am having the opposite problem. I just bought my 4 yr old daugter a 98, she will get it from Santa. My problem is that with my 250 lbs on it, it seems to go really fast, at least to fast for her. I looked at the governor and there is a solid link through the governor spring. Is this suppose to be there? I seems to defeat the purpose of the governor and my be someones attempt to bypass it. If I remove this rod will the governor work properly and then I can adjust the speed screw? Any help will be appreciated as my wife won't let me give it to my daughter until I get this thing corrected.

Thanks
snoeproe

Post by snoeproe »

My 77 kitty resto has a similar issue. The governor system is missing. I made my own with a styrofoam wedge glued to the back of the throttle lever. Crude idea but it seems to work.
1977 Kitty Cat
1992 Kitty Cat
brad dodge

govener

Post by brad dodge »

i did the same thing i actually took a exhaust flange nut from a honda car tapped it on the end of the shaft lightly with hammer to start tighten it genty not much to make threads it wont fall off and spins free on shaft then you can get a great cable adj i could send pics it is basic but effective hope this helps mb :twisted:
MAD BRAD