We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

leaking 1979 mikuni carb

Carburetors - adjust, rebuild, repair, etc.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

doug miller

leaking 1979 mikuni carb

Post by doug miller »

There is a small hole on the left hand side of my 1979 mikuni kitty cat carb (from the driver's perspective) which is leaking fuel. What is that hole for, should there be something in it to stop the leak, and what can I do to stop the leak?

The snowmoblie was running perfectly until the leak started after my son bumped into a tree.[/i][/b]
Engineer

Post by Engineer »

I don't have a carb in front of me to look at but I hope you are not missing the idle air bleed screw.

Go to this site and look at the diagram:

http://www.brownsleisureworld.com/Parts ... RETOR.html

It may be a vent hole for the float bowl (I thought this carb was vented through the venturi but I may be thinking of a different carb. That happens when you do about 20 different carb a year.)

The issue is probably that the float is stuck and its over filling the bowl. A good cleaning will fix this problem.

PS copy the whole link in your bowser, for some reason this site won't take the ().
doug miller

Post by doug miller »

I think you are right on the fact that the hole in a vent. I will clean the carb and see what happens.
Thanks for the help.
jstoeckly

gas leak

Post by jstoeckly »

Hey Doug -you might want to recheck the float level on the carb - I've had the float stick & won't close the needle..& then it's a smelly mess.
clean the carb, remove the bowl, & double check the needle the floats on the "float " itself.
it a pretty easy fix - just messy.

Good luck,
Jim
doug miller

Post by doug miller »

Thank you jstoeckly... I did hook up the fuel line without the bowl and by pushing up on the float with my finger the fuel stopped. I am just going to replace the needle and float and see what happens. Thank for the help eh, and will keep you posted from the great white Canadian north.
LeEarl

Post by LeEarl »

I am having the same problem right now. I just rebuilt the engine and did not change anything in the carb but now it will push fuel out this hole on the carb. How did you get your fixed??

Thanks,
LeEarl
Engineer

Post by Engineer »

I think I remember him saying it was a float level issue.
kidsperformance

Post by kidsperformance »

Yes the hole at the side is a vent hole....its under the zinc colored plate at the roof of the carb.......if fuel is wepping out or bubbling......it is a float level issue or a worn out needle and seat........... :D
1121racinkitty

Post by 1121racinkitty »

BILL ROCKS!!!!
KITTY CATS ROCK!