We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Electronic ignition???

Kitty Cat chat area, almost anything goes but keep it clean and snowmobile related.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

ttw_walman

Electronic ignition???

Post by ttw_walman »

I have a 79 Kitty cat that my son loves ( when its running ) Seems that I'm always having to mess with the points, condensor and timing. I'm just wondeing if anybody knows of a kit or something that would let me get rid of the points and run with electronic ignition. I have a buddy that said he did it a long time ago on a Briggs engine and thought that it should be do-able on the kitty cat.

Thanks
kidsperformance

Kitty cat ign

Post by kidsperformance »

There are a few options.....you can update to the CDI ign that they had on later model kitty cats.....all you would need is a new ign coil...ign stator plate assembly....and a new flywheel.....Note: A word of caution the earlier model motors had smaller dia. flywheel and when you convert to the newer ign. the flywheel is bigger in dia. and may be a tight fit or it won't fit at all....everything else bolts right into place
Jonn

Post by Jonn »

KidsPerformance is absolutely correct! We've done this on a few KCs we've had in the shop with ignition problems. Most people don't choose this option from the simple fact that the flywheels are expensive (list is $244.19).

It can be done...but the real question is can you afford to get it done.

PS. If you decide you want to do this, call me and we can talk about cost. I might be able to help you out a little on this particular project.
Jonn
Olson Brothers
http://obups
651-395-2296
blaster

Post by blaster »

I'm selling a very EZ to install Electronic ignition for the older Kitty cats. It works great and you never have to buy points again. I will have the installing instructions with pics in a few days. The kit will sell for 60.00 + shipping. Let me know if you are interested in the kit? Thanks

Roger McCollum
RKM Racing
570-491-5812