We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Track drive shaft replacement

Kitty Cat chat area, almost anything goes but keep it clean and snowmobile related.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

jdehler

Track drive shaft replacement

Post by jdehler »

I have swapped the track on two kittys. The problem I am having is on a 1978 /w an aluminum tunnel. Once I got everything back in I had to leave all the bolts loose just to be able to get the sprocket back on the shaft. When everything was tightened the shaft is only halfway into the bearing on the right side. The shaft was flush w/ the outside of the bearing prior to removal. It is acting like the tunnel might have flexed outward when I removed the shaft. Like the shaft is not long enough anymore. Has anyone else had this problem?
Squid

Post by Squid »

Hi,
Are you sure the bearing flanges are mounted on the inside of the tunnel? I made the mistake of mounting them outside at first, and the driveshaft isn't long enough to span between the bearings mounted on the outside of the tunnel.
Dave
94 Kitty cat from freecycle.org
jdehler

Post by jdehler »

Do both of the flanges on the same side go on the inside? I thought one went on the inside and one on the outside.
MachJeff

Post by MachJeff »

I thought it was one in one out when I took mine apart, but it didn't fit right whan I put it back together. I figured it was because I was using generic Farm Supply berrings that were narrower. I put both flanges on the inside and it all fit together nicely.

The other problem you may have is the berrings are not properly located on the shaft. I also found I had to not tighten the berring lock collars untill the flanges were bolted on place. Then line up the shaft end and tighten the collars.

Probably too late, but hopefully that helps someone.