We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

What have you done to add lugs/cleats to the track?

Talk about the oldies, restore, repair, etc.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

srponies

What have you done to add lugs/cleats to the track?

Post by srponies »

I'm currently going through our ('85) KC and noticed that there really aren't any lugs left on the track. Maybe that's why it doesn't want to go anywhere. Anyhow, I'm thinking of adding some traction bars/cleats across the track. Will this require me to use a deep snow kit? How have you guys done this? What material or parts have you used? What type of fasteners did you use? What spacing did you use between cleats?
I'm thinking of some sort of "C" channel cleats attached with carriage bolts every 6-8"..... any thoughts on this?

Thanks for any help,
Steve H.
Jonn

Cleated tracks

Post by Jonn »

I don't know if your still working on this, but if you need cleats or a cleated track, call Steve at 651-462-2417. He built the first Kitty Cat cleated tracks in the mid '80s when everyone said it couldn't be done. A few people have copied his track design but they use a heavier cleat and the belting seems to be a little irregular.
Jonn
Olson Brothers
http://obups
651-395-2296
sharpeiday

Post by sharpeiday »

All i did was use some aluminum angle iron
srponies

Post by srponies »

As a (late) followup to my original post. I ended up adding a deep snow kit. Then installed about 25-30 studs/picks in the track. I think they were about 3/4". It definitely helped in harder snow and ice.

Then the kitty cat was sold. My kids are currently content riding with my wife and I on the big sleds.

Steve H.