We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Secondary sprocket help???

Kitty Cat chat area, almost anything goes but keep it clean and snowmobile related.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

ttw_walman

Secondary sprocket help???

Post by ttw_walman »

I was wondering if anybody has any idea on how small is too small for the secondary sprocket. Right now my 79' kitty cat (completely stock) will drive me (215 lb) around the yard in hard pack snow. I know it has plenty of reserve power for my 40# 5 year old. I want to bypass the governor (which i heard involves nothing more than loosening a nut and a tie wrap)and change the gearing. My kid has been driving this thing stock for a couple of seasons now and is plenty good enough to go faster. I just don't want to get too small of a sprocket and lose the bottom end needed to get the track going. Does a 30 tooth sprocket sound OK? any feed-back would be appreciatted.

Thanks
harryparatestis

Post by harryparatestis »

I have played the Sprocket game.. try a 34-36 tooth, it will l have more on the top, without making it a complete dog out of the hole. as far as the governor is concerned you dont have to loosen anything, .. just take a small zip tie and run it through the center of the spring and zip it so the spring cant stretch.. your done ... 2 minutes at most good luck
Curtis

Post by Curtis »

When I used to race in the Big Boys circuit, I ran a 15 clutch, 32 secondary, I am 150 lbs, and it pulled me just fine at about 20 mph. I know that a 11 clutch(stock) and a 24 secondary is very close to what I ran, so if you want to keep the same clutch, I would go for the 24 lower.
roger

Post by roger »

11/24 works good. Pretty fast for a little one though. Mines 5 and she hits 20mph on a radar with a 13/24. She rolled it last weekend. with both gears Its a little doggy on anything other than hard and flat. I'm going to try a 32 or 30.
Streus

Post by Streus »

Roger -
Where do you get the 30 or 32 you're talking about? I have a bone stock 97 with the governor tied. It does ok for my four year old but he wouldn't mind a little more speed.
Thanks
Roger

Post by Roger »

Call Jonn Olson They have a web site olson brothers ultimate performance. He reads these and his number he has them is on here somewhere. Just look for replies by Jonn. I would not bother with the quick change if he has regular sprockets. If not, look up Laager racing
Curtis

Post by Curtis »

You can get the sprokets from Olson Brothers, but normally you have to buy the quick change hub and then buy sprokets for it. What I did was go to a farm implement dealer and I had them order a sproket for me, it was only $4. Im guessing if you go to a store like a Fleet Farm, they might have something. It sure beats spending $30+.
ttw_walman

Post by ttw_walman »

Just an update I got a 32 tooth from Olson brothers. I put that on, made a linkage to bypass the governor and give it some resolution and then installed a deep snow kit. All that and the aluminum angle I put on as cleats and this little thing rocks :P :P My kid acts like he did when he got it given to him two years ago. I live on seven acres with some steep hills and that litlle thing flies up them. The 32 tooth works great until he got loaded up with slush last week and then it started to bog a bit. Got the broomstick out and cleaned the tunnel and off he went. He loves the speed!! It's got to be going 13-15 mph. I have a hard time keeping up with him running!! Ive heard that these sleds vary quite a bit from unit to unit but mine has plenty of power to take a 45 pound 5 year old around all day. It does seem to run much better on cold days and so a #70 or 67.5 jet will probrably have to be purchased next. I guess I'll have to call the Olson Brothers back.

PRAY FOR SNOW!!!
Jonn

Sprockets

Post by Jonn »

In the fall of 2006 we will be offering a couple kits that include KC sprockets that do not require the quick change hub. Check our website in the fall.
Jonn
Olson Brothers
http://obups
651-395-2296