We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

engine solutions?

Kawasaki or Suzuki, assembly, disassembly, troubleshooting questions.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

twillapede

engine solutions?

Post by twillapede »

I don't know what you guys think, but I think if I take a bit of sand paper to this rough edge, I can likely bring it back to new or better!

So, what would you guys do when faced with a piston like this? Its out of a kawasaki engine. Funny thing was it still ran not bad....... once you finally got it started. Low compression, around 50 - 60psi.

http://s1318.photobucket.com/user/twill ... slideshow/

I think the last photo is the most clear.
twillapede

pocket bike engine

Post by twillapede »

does anyone think a pocket bike engine would be up to the task of running the kitty cat. I don't want to put a very large engine in. I'd be happy with the exact same performance. These engines are cheap and easily replaceable with new. I have a couple examples of what I was curious about. I'd like to hear anything someone may think.

49cc engine
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/49CC-Pocket-Bike ... 41607327e7

53cc engine
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0868393200

Post by 72 »

I thought about it, you would have to make a mount (for engine and gas tank), find a pipe and modify it to fit, change the chain drive (either the driven shaft sprocket to 25 or the clutch to 35, rejet/ tune for cold weather. The engines you linked to are Chinese copies of the European "blue bird" engine. The rpm they start making power at will kill the clutch shoes rather quickly. The gearing and rpm involved would have the clutch just starting to lock up at about 3/4 of what a stock kitty top speed is (unless you use a counter shaft to drop the rpm like the gear box on a kitty does).

The second engine linked to would be a better deal inho just because it has a better head and a copy of the dellorto "sha" series carb. Single stage carb with just a main jet to dial in and e-tube mods if you want it perfect, beats the hell out of low and high jets and needle adjustment/changes required for the other.

I have a good used kaw top end for sale pm if interested.
twillapede

Post by twillapede »

Im just throwing some ideas out there. I am purchasing a whole used engine for $100 plus shipping with a 120psi compression. Ive got new rings on the way too. I came up with another low cost possibility with a small displacement. Princes auto has a 87cc water pump combo that goes on sale for around $110ish(they will not sell the engine separate for some reason). The whole engine with gas tank, stands aprox 12 inches up and down. If the water pump was separated, this would be a nice small engine for relatively cheap, it also would be a gamble to see what the output shaft would be like.

The biggest reason i'm toying around with the idea of an alternate engine is so my 60cc will be in good shape, so if I ever sold, I'd have a relatively original sled.
michelinx9

Post by michelinx9 »

It would be nice if you told me that information out.
Jonn

Engine Replacement

Post by Jonn »

FYI... I'll have our Kitty Cat engine replacement kit ready to ship this spring. It's a drop in solution that comes with mounting kit, engine, gas tank, clutch, and exhaust. It's a vertical engine so there's no interference with the front of the tunnel or console like all the other engines I've tested. The most expensive replacement parts are in the $20-$24 range keeping the cost of ownership very low. It's going to be a fantastic upgrade to the Kitty Cats and stop the recycling of Kitty Cats for there used resale value. - Jonn
Jonn
Olson Brothers
http://obups
651-395-2296
scotty1441

Post by scotty1441 »

Looking forward to more information on this kit John.