We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Too much frame flex

Kitty Cat chat area, almost anything goes but keep it clean and snowmobile related.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

72kittymn

Too much frame flex

Post by 72kittymn »

I've got a '72 kitty cat that my kids have been riding for a few years now. This year I noticed that when I lift up on the handlebars the frame flexes quite a bit more than it used to. It looks like there are slots in the frame kind of at the point where the square steel braces for the belly pan tie in, and those slots are opening up quite a bit when I lift the handlebars.

I'm wondering are those slots in the frame supposed to be there, and if so how much should they open up? I can try to get a picture uploaded if that would help.

I'm debating if I should bring it to the local welding shop and have them weld the slots completely closed.

I've scoured the service manuals and the chat boards for info or pictures, but can't seem to find anything.

Thanks for any info or advice you can offer.

Post by 72 »

Are you sure its only your kids who been riding it? If its where the bottom plate of the bulkhead meet with the sides...... then something is broke. Dont lift on the bars anymore. Post a pic.
72kittymn

Post by 72kittymn »

To me it looks like the left side of the frame has separated from the steel support and needs to be welded back on. Beyond that, the slots on both sides just seem strange to me that they open up at all.

I took 4 pictures: inside and outside of both sides. I put them in this public folder on Google+:

https://plus.google.com/photos/11153629 ... 5454031633

Let me know if it doesn't work.[/url]
72kittymn

Post by 72kittymn »

Ha, I just noticed reviewing and zooming in on the picture of the inside left (3rd picture) that there is also a crack in back the corner and along the bottom where the bottom plate comes up the front of the tunnel.

Yeah, it's been well used by my three kids plus a handful of the neighbor kids that come running every time they hear it start up. I haven't seen any of the adults on it yet, but they may have snuck in a ride while I wasn't looking! ;-)

So am I right in thinking that I just need to get that crack welded along the corner/bottom plus get the left side frame welded back onto the square support?
72kittymn

Post by 72kittymn »

Post by 72 »

Wow, I have never seen cracks like that. Both sides have broke all the way through. You should be able to repair it. Rather than just welding up the cracks. I would weld the cracks on one side and weld a piece of sheet metal over the opposite side (inside) for strength. Someone needs to call PETA on you for kitty abuse :lol:
72kittymn

Post by 72kittymn »

Thanks for the reply. The cracks have been there to a large degree since I got the sled, so I needed some confirmation on how much to get welded back together. They definitely got worse this season.

So I'm going to claim this is a case of "rescue" vs. abuse. :wink:

I know a good weld shop in the area, so now I know what to have them do.
snoeproe

Post by snoeproe »

I have never seen a frame cracked that bad.
I could weld it for you. I'd weld both sides all the way around with my dc tig welder. Then possibly a reinforcement plate welded over top. This is a good time to have a look at the entire chassis for cracks that require welding.
1977 Kitty Cat
1992 Kitty Cat