We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

1997 Kitty Cat leaking gas

Kitty Cat chat area, almost anything goes but keep it clean and snowmobile related.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

Flip22

1997 Kitty Cat leaking gas

Post by Flip22 »

Hello all! New to the forum, and I've read through a lot of pages to see if there was a similar issue but couldn't find one. My sons 1997 Kitty Cat is leaking gas where the carb meets the engine (?). My son was riding it for about an hour around the yard and then he stopped, he hit the gas and it bogged and then died. I heard a bubbling noise from the motor but couldn't figure it out right away, so I let it sit for a minute, and tried to start it, but it wouldn't start, and white smoke was coming out of the muffler. I could still here the bubbling noise and then i was able to track it to the diamond looking piece on the carb where the carb meets the engine. When I shut the fuel off the bubbling stopped, and so did the gas leaking out of the carb. What could the issue be? It still turns over with I pull the recoil, but won't start, and is leaking gas. Is this a carb issue? Any help will be greatly appreciated! :?:

Thanks!

Flip
1997 Kitty Cat

Post by 72 »

Ill bet the needle isnt seating, or float is stuck. It is odd that gas is coming out where it is. The gasket in that area should be looked at as well.
Flip22

Post by Flip22 »

72 wrote:Ill bet the needle isnt seating, or float is stuck. It is odd that gas is coming out where it is. The gasket in that area should be looked at as well.
What is the gasket called? Should I buy a carb rebuild kit?
1997 Kitty Cat
Flip22

Post by Flip22 »

Cleaned the car , and the plate I side was dislodged causing the float to stay open. Put it all back together and it runs like a champ! Thanks for the help!
1997 Kitty Cat
snoeproe

Post by snoeproe »

Just remove the splash plate and toss it. The sled will run fine without it.
1977 Kitty Cat
1992 Kitty Cat
Yeags

Re: 1997 Kitty Cat leaking gas

Post by Yeags »

@snoeproe I just popped open my carb and the splash plate is loose and falling off on one side. Instead of removing should I just re-peen into place?

Not sure best way to do so, but what are pros/cons of keeping/removing?

Thanks!

Jeff