We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

kitty cat studs

Buy, sell, or look for parts that are scarce and no longer available.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

mackpe

kitty cat studs

Post by mackpe »

anybody know what size studs to use on the kitty cats?
moose

Post by moose »

how did ya get yours high enough to put studs in it? mine sits on the track?
Bud & Bear Motorsport

studs

Post by Bud & Bear Motorsport »

For a stock Kitty I believe the stud length is .70". Most I have used were .75" long that were reground to .70" by Woodys.
ISR rule states the stud can be no longer than .375" beyond highest point of track. Pitch the stud washers that come with the studs and use .25" fender washers instead.
mackpe

rassing up kitty cat

Post by mackpe »

My father in law and I lowered the track 3 inches and made to ski spindles for the front so it rides higher in the snow. Ther eis a kit you can get on ebay, i believe the guys ebay name is method master..

Thanks for the technical info on the studs, appreciate it
Jonn

Kitty Cat Studs

Post by Jonn »

We've built and raced mod kitty cats since 1980, and the correct stud for the Kitty Cat is actually .6 long. These studs meet the race rule tolerances and usually clear the tunnel without a problem, but in some Kitty Cats some modification to the tunnel will be needed to get them to clear. If you install the studs and find they do hit the tunnel there are three things you can do: 1) Put the studs in the track and mark where they will hit the tunnel and cut slots out so the stud will clear; 2) Cut a square out on the tunnel and replace it with a raised cover so the studs clear (we sell these); or 3) Using a hammer beat out the tunnel slightly until the studs clear as the following messages indicate. Sometimes just proper track adjustment will resolve this problem. Note: If you don't use the raised cover, depending on the front drivers and track drive windows the track could skip and push the track closer to the tunnel and the studs will then hit.

We carry these studs in stock and a bag of 24 sells for $39.95 and includes the studs, backers and T-nuts. Again, these are specifically manufactured for the Kitty Cat and have been used for many years with great success.
Last edited by Jonn on March 7th, 2006, 2:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jonn
Olson Brothers
http://obups
651-395-2296
Vinman

Studding Kitty Cat Track

Post by Vinman »

I just did this last week. What a job. Woody's makes the kit and Jon's price is within a couple bucks of what I paid. After I got the kit I needed to call Woody's to ask how the heck to get them in. Good idea about the fender washers, but I was able to get them in with the backer plates and all you will need ie a 7mm track cutter (instead fo the 1/4" recommended), and a "T" Nut tool. With a little patience you will get it done.

In so far as the deep snow kit, this will not do anything for clearance in the front, as the jack shaft mount does not change. It will allow more room in the back and as Jon said if the track is adjusted correctly the studs will not rub.
TeamBubba

Kitty Studs

Post by TeamBubba »

I bought the Woody's Kitty studs from Jonn at Olson Bros. and put them into the existing holes in my track. I found that they did hit the tunnell near the front drive sprockets and that the old studs had done that as well. There were grooves worn completely through the tunnell. I found out that this is normal and the best way to deal with this is to cut out enough tunnel so they don't hit and then fabricate an aluminum shroud over the slots you've cut in the tunnel to protect the carburetor from snow that gets through. I do run my track fairly loose for racing.
harryparatestis

Post by harryparatestis »

I have also heard you can give the bulkhead a couple of good smacks with a sledge hammer to buy a little clearance (although it helps to have the track off) :-) KO