We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Runs when engine cold, boggs and dies when warms up

Kawasaki or Suzuki, assembly, disassembly, troubleshooting questions.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

revrider5

Runs when engine cold, boggs and dies when warms up

Post by revrider5 »

I have a 98 Kitty Cat that runs fine when cold then once the engine gets warm it boggs and dies. I've cleaned the carb a few times, checked the spark it was good. compression is at 75 lbs. If anyone could help me I would appreciate it I have two little girls that want to ride and I don't know what else to check.
chris

Post by chris »

75 lbs compression is respectable, personally i would like to see over 100 this could be an indication that the rings are worn. Another couple of things to look for are worn crank seals or worn carb spacer, both would present the same symptoms when the engine is heated up and formed an air leak. If you are sucking in air at full throttle it will lean the mix enough to bog the engine and make it quit. It is not a wikid hard problem to diagnose, but you have to be somewhat comfortable with the mechanical workings and have access to a propane torch. Start the engine and warm it up, after it has reached temp and starts to bog down, raise the track off the ground so you can run it at full throttle, with the propane torch, turn on the gas and let the head of the torch go around the carb and around the crank seal and all gaskets that you can get to, if the problem goes away and the motor evens out you have found you leak. Let us all know if this worked out for you
NE Kitty Salvage