We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Help removing clutch on 72 Kitty Cat

Kitty Cat chat area, almost anything goes but keep it clean and snowmobile related.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

northman56751

Help removing clutch on 72 Kitty Cat

Post by northman56751 »

Need help on removing the primary clutch on 72 Kitty Cat. I was told that i do not need a clutch puller on this, but have not been able to figure out how to get it off. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brett
MachJeff

Post by MachJeff »

Its not a tapered shaft or anything, so its likely just a bit seized on the shaft. It is pretty hard to use a generic puller as there's usually nothing for the puller to grab onto. If you are careful, thread the bolt back into the end of the shaft leaving it about 1/8" loose. Using 3 hands, place a couple pry bars behind the clutch to lever the clutch off, and then hit the head of the bolt with a hammer. Hit firm and square, but not hard enough to damage the threads. That should start to work it loose.
JonnO

Post by JonnO »

Remember to remove the two set screws in addition to the clutch bolt. Sometimes they're covered in debris and you can't see them. One is over the key and the other is 90 degrees opposite of that.

I use a three leg puller if I get a stuborn clutch. Between that and a rubber mallet, they will come off.

Good luck!

Jonn