We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Seat question

Kitty Cat chat area, almost anything goes but keep it clean and snowmobile related.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

Nomoevo

Seat question

Post by Nomoevo »

Hello,

I just picked up a 96 Kitty cat for my son and I am in the process of making it ready to ride. I ordered a new tail light because this one is smashed. How the heck do I get the seat off??? Thanks !
MachJeff

Post by MachJeff »

Looks like on that model there are two nuts in the rear of the tunnel that need to be removed. Then lift the rear of the seat and slide back.
Look up the kity cat parts fiche on this site (click on year, then kittycat, then seat) and you should see the exploded diagram.
http://www.brownsleisureworld.com/frame ... ile/Parts/
Jeff
Nomoevo

Post by Nomoevo »

Thanks!
MachJeff

Post by MachJeff »

Oops, forgot to mention; you'll likely have to remove the 6 bolts and drop the 'suspension' in order to get access to the seat nuts.
Nomoevo

Post by Nomoevo »

That's actually fine as the second row of bogies is seized up so I have to remove them anyhow. Thanks again for the help! Any suggestions on the seized bogies?

Post by 72 »

If you want to go the extra step or make it easier for the next guy.....Cut off the straps that are bolted to the tunnel and use a few strips of velcro that have adhesive on both sides to remount the seat. Not only will it save time if you ever have to remove the seat in the future ( or the next guy) but in the case if a hard roll over the newly covered seat will have a chance to "break away" from the tunnel rather than possibly getting torn.
MachJeff

Post by MachJeff »

Holy smokes, I couldnt imagine rolling a Kitty hard enough to tear the seat. An old hard one might crack possibly.

As for the bogies, they just ride on the shaft - there's no bearings. I'm not even sure if they have bushings. Unbolt the shaft, carefully hammer the bogies off, clean everything with emery cloth, grease, and reinstall.

Should be good to go after that.
Nomoevo

Post by Nomoevo »

Hmm... I took the shaft out and they are all rusty and locked up. I think the shaft won't roll because it is missing a few shims on the ends and when I tighten the bogie shaft it binds up? Does that make sense?[/img]

Post by 72 »

MachJeff wrote:Holy smokes, I couldnt imagine rolling a Kitty hard enough to tear the seat. An old hard one might crack possibly.
I hope you don't find out, especially with that power house you have. Vinyl get a lot stiffer the colder it gets just as broken ice gets sharper.

Post by 72 »

Nomoevo wrote:Hmm... I took the shaft out and they are all rusty and locked up. I think the shaft won't roll because it is missing a few shims on the ends and when I tighten the bogie shaft it binds up? Does that make sense?[/img]
If you are trying to post a pic just put it on photobucket or another site and post the link.

The wheel shafts are not supposed to turn, the wheels turn on the shafts, all the components between the two skid plates (spacers, wheels, and (sometimes) washers. should turn by hand when mounted, but not shafts. Give everything a good soaking with some penetrating oil for at least 24 hours before even attempting to disassemble (beat on it), it could save you some time money and frustration. What you are dealing with is common, the skids should really be torn down, cleaned and greased after every season just as all fuel should be drained. Then again, the clutch bushing should get a couple drops of oil every few of hours, but who does that?
Nomoevo

Post by Nomoevo »

I tore them all apart and sanded all the rust off the shaft. Reassembled and now they spin pretty freely. Thanks for all the help.
steve0

Post by steve0 »

72 wrote:If you want to go the extra step or make it easier for the next guy.....Cut off the straps that are bolted to the tunnel and use a few strips of velcro that have adhesive on both sides to remount the seat. Not only will it save time if you ever have to remove the seat in the future ( or the next guy) but in the case if a hard roll over the newly covered seat will have a chance to "break away" from the tunnel rather than possibly getting torn.
Sorry to bring up a very old post....but I just removed the seat on out 1995 kitty and the 2 bolts that old the seat on snapped because they were so rusty. I was thinking of drilling them out of the plate and using new bolts/nuts.

From the post above, are you saying that velcro can be used in place of the bolts?

Any other suggestions on securing the seat would be helpful and appreciated.

Thank you,

Steve