We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

1985 kitty cat. need info and help.

Kitty Cat chat area, almost anything goes but keep it clean and snowmobile related.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

sniperperformance

1985 kitty cat. need info and help.

Post by sniperperformance »

i just picked up a 1985 kitty cat for my 4 year old son. i plan on getting it fixed up, even though its already in good shape. i would love some info on this sled. my little boy got hooked when we went to a sled race and they had stock kitty cats out there racing. then another dad let my son ride his sons sled. and my boy was hooked.

so long story short this sled will be riden the way it is for this year. the next year i will put him in the stocker class. and knowing my son is like me im sure he will go up from there.

So any info would be great. what engine i have? common problems and fixes?
first thing i plan on doing is the lift kit as im from michigan and reading all these posts about how the kitty cats get stuck told me right away.

right now it dose not run i think the carb is clogged up and in need of some cleaning, it runs when wD40 is sprayed into the carb. im not a starting fluid guy becouse it carrys no lubrication values to it. it also came with the wheel kit for summertime riding and hes all over me to get it running.

here some picture below.

I did about 3 hours of reading on this site and there was some good info but not much along the lines of build threads or stickys with mods so on.

i did look threw the parts vendor area and found some stuff. but some additional input would be great.

Post by 72 »

Welcome,

Some of the most common issues I can think of is the needle and seat in the carb leaking, crank seals leaking (usually ignition side), and the recoil breaking. If you change out the needle and seat and at least the ignition side seal and keep a spare recoil on hand you should be pretty safe. Other issues not as critical are things like worn spindle bushing and rod ends (easy fixes). Depending where you live, you might want to drop a size or two jet sizes as they are a little rich from the factory 72.5 main stock. The wheels are known for getting a little sticky, disassemble the shafts and give them a good cleaning and greasing. If you go as far as pulling the driven shaft take the time to flip the drivers if worn. A new style track will help some but they are a little pricey. I would also disassemble the clutch and see how bad the bushing is worn or just replace the driver/bushing assembly with a 12 of 13 tooth unit (will also help a little with top speed) with a new chain. Make sure the brake band dont drag too bad when reassembling. Good oil with good gas (no ethanol) if you can get it. That should get you going.
kittydoc

Same Machine in NH

Post by kittydoc »

I have pretty much the same maching pictured here. I am interested in selling it. My boys just never got into it. It runs well and is pretty much stock. I've had it for about 5 years, in that time I guess its been run maybe a total of 3 hours. The ingnition key is missing but we've by passed that so no key is needed. Started up second pull last year.

Not sure what they are worth these days. Willing to sell it here or there is a snow mobile swap in Goffstown NH where I may try to unload it. Any suggestions on value--what I should ask for it...

Thanks