We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Gas leak

Kitty Cat chat area, almost anything goes but keep it clean and snowmobile related.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

1999beast

Gas leak

Post by 1999beast »

Hi guys I bought a 1999 kitty cat a few months ago and the fuel shut off a the bottom of the tank leaks bad. I thinks it's due to the rubber grommet. Is there anyway i can fix it without new parts? How do you get the fuel shut off and rubber grommet out of the tank? Anybody had this same problem?
MachJeff

Post by MachJeff »

I would like to know if anyone has had success sealing these. I have found that sealing rubber to plastic is very difficult, especially when you add gasoline. Some silicones I have tried have broken down and ended up in the carburator. If the tank is in good shape you can try getting a new grommet. I just put in a different tank. Picked up a used one from a lawnmower shop, off some kind of techumseh vertical shaft engine. Has a moulded outled on the bottom, no more leaks.

Post by 72 »

The only tank I have ever seen effectively repaired involved twisting in a threaded petcock into the outlet. Even the newest of these sleds seem to at least seep a little fuel around the seals (ethanol?). I agree with Jeff, a different tank would be your best bet. The only issue with the techumseh fuel tanks is that they usually have a 1/4" outlet, not 3/16" like the originals. It takes a little soaking of the fuel line in some boiling water to get it to go on. The older toro and mtd 2-cycle snowblowers usually have tanks that can be made to work, the rectangular black tanks on the mtd's is what I would use if given a choice.
steve0

Post by steve0 »

I've used this product in the past to seal the tank where the grommet goes into the bottom of the tank. It worked really well. I eventually replaced the grommet. To do so, remove the tank and pull very hard(with pliers) on the shutt-off, it will come out of the bottom of the tank.

http://www.amazon.com/Welder-Contact-Ad ... 9&sr=1-122
1999beast

Post by 1999beast »

Turns out I just needed to push the gas shut off back not the tank and glue it a bit. It's working now but time will tell if she last.