We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Almost running/please help.

Kawasaki or Suzuki, assembly, disassembly, troubleshooting questions.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

ramey36

Almost running/please help.

Post by ramey36 »

I posted in the carb section but since this is a general engine question as well, I'm reposting here...

I appreciate your help :D

1973 Kitty Cat with T5 Kawasaki Engine.

Hadn't been run for MANY years. Coil tested well. Points shot. Installed universal electronic ignition and immediately had awesome spark. Fresh spark plug.

Had it running for one day last year until the crank seals went out. It didn't idle well that day due to the impending doom of the crank seals but at least my boy had an hour of fun.

Fast forward to this year. Had our local expert install new crank seals. 130 psi cranking compression, mechanically sound sealing-wise. Great ring seal. Clean bill of health in the cylinder area. Spark still strong.

Upon reassembly last week it would run up high but wouldn't idle or run anywhere below full throttle. I had the Kikaki on and off about 50 times. Seems like it was mechanically ok. Nice and clean inside, all passages clean.

The holes in the emulsion tube were facing the air cleaner. I had heard these should face the engine so I turned the tube around. Ran even worse.

So then, I took a carb off my other untouched Kitty. It was mine ever since I was five (I'm 40 now). The strangest thing with the emulsion tube is it was facing the air cleaner as well. That makes no sense to me as you'd think the airflow would be a detriment to the way the atomized fuel comes out of the tube.

So now, with the 2nd Kikaki carb, it starts every time and runs very well down low. As soon as I give it throttle it bogs and shuts off. It will run on half choke but it's inconsistent.

Two questions:

How do I enrichen the high speed circuit? Is it because of ethanol?
Could my engine be out of whack due to timing? Is the universal electronic ignition throwing the high speed off? Do I need the Kitty specific ignition? Even though it's sparking is it at the correct time?

thanks for listening

ramey
Potatoline

D

Post by Potatoline »

I have never read anything that contains this bad before.