We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

1996 Kitty Cat Runs Only with Choke On

Kawasaki or Suzuki, assembly, disassembly, troubleshooting questions.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

Miles76

1996 Kitty Cat Runs Only with Choke On

Post by Miles76 »

I have a 1996 Kitty Cat that runs but only with the Choke on, as soon as I open the choke it will run for a few seconds then dies. I have cleaned the carb 2 or 3 times. I did the test where you spray starting fluid in the recoil (also around the carb intake gasket) to see if it idles up higher, but didn't notice a difference in idle speed (maybe I didnt get enough in there?). I am going to pull the flywheel off to take a look at the crankseal. I would like to try to find a way to cap off the intake and exhaust and pressurize the engine to check for leaks, but maybe would just be easier to change the crank seal. It would be nice to know for sure though. Any suggestions?

Post by 72 »

It sounds like what you want to perform is a leak down test. The time it takes to set everything up and the time it takes to perform the test would be better spent just changing out the ignition side seal imho. Then even if it does not solve the problem it is eliminated as a source of the leak. Good luck!