We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Initial settings

Kawasaki or Suzuki, assembly, disassembly, troubleshooting questions.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

KennyH

Initial settings

Post by KennyH »

Is there such a thing? I am looking for the carb and govener settings if there are some. Have a 77 kitty and I have it running but I cant get it to idle and if I squeeze the throttle to get it to idle it surges and wont settle down. I boiled the carb and cleaned the passages, set the float at level while turned upside down and put new gaskets on there too. I sprayed ether around the likely places that may leak (recoil, carb and base gaskets) and got no response.
SO, is there a initial setting for the govenor and carb that I can set them at to have a starting point. OR is there something that I am missing. This is my first 2 stroke with a GOV. I dont know if I like em......
Thanks for the help!
Later,
Kenny
Who needs a signature anyway?

Post by 72 »

If the gov linkage is not binding anywhere, you can increase idle rpm with the idle adjustment screw (#10 on microfische). When idling the throttle shaft should not move at all.

A good starting point for the carbs idle circuit air screw (#16 on microfische) is 1 1/8 turns out. Once the engine is warmed up you should be able to back that screw out (leaning out the fuel air mix) and the rpms should increase. Continue to back the screw out untill it starts to stumble (due to lack of fuel) and turn the screw back in 1/8 of a turn. You should not be more than 1 1/2 turns out. After that is completed you can go back and adjust you idle speed with the idle adjustment screw previously mentioned.

On a side note the 77's used a larger main jet (75) compared to the later years (72.5). I am not exactly sure where the idle and main circuits cross over in the rpm range with this carb but its been said rejeting a little smaller improves how these run. Good luck.
KennyH

Post by KennyH »

Thanks 72! With that and downloading the service manual I have the info I need!
Later,
Kenny
Who needs a signature anyway?