We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

increase Speed

Kawasaki or Suzuki, assembly, disassembly, troubleshooting questions.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

kittycatrider

increase Speed

Post by kittycatrider »

My 7 year old asked me if I could increase the spped on his 1995 kitty Kat...it still fits him great and I need to do some work on the carb replace gaskets etc. i thought I would need changed to increase spped, i assume a smaller sprocket or some sort of govenor adjustment? I woudl apreciate any assistance thank you! Everything is currently stock on this sled.
Bob S
Devo

Re: increase Speed

Post by Devo »

kittycatrider wrote:My 7 year old asked me if I could increase the spped on his 1995 kitty Kat...it still fits him great and I need to do some work on the carb replace gaskets etc. i thought I would need changed to increase spped, i assume a smaller sprocket or some sort of govenor adjustment? I woudl apreciate any assistance thank you! Everything is currently stock on this sled.
Leave it that way (stock) and sell it. The money you will spend getting more speed out of these engins isnt worth it. You take a chance of blowing the sucker up and than more bucks to fix it if you can find the parts. Like I said sell it and use the money towards a 120 sled of your choice. If hes to small for a 120 you can always slow it down with some adjustments and when he is bigger you can speed it up as he grows into it.
Changing those small motors from stock is just asking for trouble.
kittycatrider

Post by kittycatrider »

Thank you Devo. I agree i just thought there were some easy adjustments. i just purchased a 120 for my other som the 9 year old and we do want to figure out how to make that faster and I assume that would not be an appropriate topic on this site. My 7 year old fits the 120 fine and the stock speed on teh 120 seems fine for him. I think I will look for another 120 and keep the kitty cat for my 3 year old daughter...
Bob S
harryparatestis

Post by harryparatestis »

You can get them to go faster without blowing them up or spending a whole lot of Ca$h. Those Suzuki motors are pretty solid, you can bypass the governor with a zip strip and change out the drive sprocket, for less then $50-60 you can get your self an easy 5-7mph out of it. a new 120 is $2400. pretty easy decision. My kids have just about outgrown their 120's and we had kitty's before that. I enjoyed the kitty's better other then the fact they get stuck in 5 inches of snow. at least I could pick one up and put it on the workbench or in the back of the van, by myself.
"Any day above dirt is a good one"
kittycatrider

Post by kittycatrider »

Thanks harryparatestis
Did you modify your 120...thats my other project...my son who outgrew his kitty (9 years old and tall) likes the 120 but it seems about as fast as the kitty. Again....not sure I can handle a total new engne but some minor mods could work.
Bob S
revkev6

Post by revkev6 »

there are plenty of forums/threads about swapping out the 120 motor for a 200cc motor. it's a bolt in swap on those sleds. the honda 120 is the same block as the honda 200. I picked up a 200cc clone of the honda for $85 on sale at my local harbor freight and dropped it in my kitty cat. it's an ANIMAL now. :shock:
kidsperformance

Post by kidsperformance »

please be careful about bypassing the governor....as I've posted in the past you risk burning up the lower rod bearing...you need to update the rod......these engines will run for years without bypassing the governor...just a word of caution
harryparatestis

Post by harryparatestis »

I have one kitty that I modified, but the other one I purchased a gx200 stage 2 from Rec motors.. and shoe horned it in there. it bolts right in, but its kind of like stuffing a big block in a Chevette, it fits, but its tight. But Holy Cow does it stand up and boogie.
"Any day above dirt is a good one"