We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Lighting coil question

Kawasaki or Suzuki, assembly, disassembly, troubleshooting questions.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

MachJeff

Lighting coil question

Post by MachJeff »

Okay, the part diagrams show that the 73-81 engines have a lighting coil, but those machines didn't have lights. When the lights came in 85, there was a different coil. Will the coil in the old motors run lights? Does any one have any idea what the output of the old lighting coil is (6V or 12V, how many watts?). I'd like to hook up some kind of lightto make the sled more visible. I'll test it once I get it back home and see what I can find out, but I was just wondering if any one else has done so. Why else would there be a lighting coil in the motor?
By the way, I have a 1977, well the tunnel is any way. I know the hood is newer, not sure about everything else, but it is the newer Suzuki motor.
MachJeff

Post by MachJeff »

I messed around with it some more. I found a plug for the lights on the wiring harness. It lit my test light up real well. I tried to check the voltage with my multi meter, but I couldn't get it to read anything. I then tried plugging in an old fog light I had laying around - it lit up but very dim. All i figgure is it is either 6V, or puts out too low of wattage for the 55w fog lamp. Then I tore it all down for cleaning and repairs before I could play around anymore.
Has anyone replaced the bulb in the headlight kit for these things? What are the specs on the bulb (volt & watt)?
Thanks any way.
dantheman

voltage

Post by dantheman »

put your tester on AC :) that might help
MachJeff

Post by MachJeff »

I'm pretty sure I did have it on DC, thinking it would work the same as when I tested a battery. :oops: I'll give that a shot.
It will have to wait a few weeks cause the whole thing is stripped right down to the bulkhead now. Sandblasting, prime and paint the chassis. Patch back together the hood and belly, fibreglass paint and redecal. Clean, tighten and fix all loose and broken parts. Then I'm going to look at adding lights and a lift kit. It sounds like a lot, but once you strip these sleds down, there's not much to them. I'm hoping it turns out nice. No, actually I'm hoping it still runs when I put it all back together.
Jonn

Lighting Coil/Headlight

Post by Jonn »

Hi MachJeff:

The lighting coil, even on the old KCs, were 12 volt. If you were to hook up a standard 12 volt tail light bulb like an 1157, it would light up. Also remember that the higher rpm the brighter the bulb will get.

If your looking for an original vintage headlight, I have two left. They're pretty hard to find and really completes the look of the vintage Kitty Cats. I have a few pictures at http://obups/Snowmobile/hoods_s ... 0Headlight (the fourth item down on the page) and http://obups/pictures.htm .
Jonn
Olson Brothers
http://obups
651-395-2296