We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

72 Kikaki Carb Won't Idle -- blocked Air-Jet?

Carburetors - adjust, rebuild, repair, etc.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

Farmer Bill

72 Kikaki Carb Won't Idle -- blocked Air-Jet?

Post by Farmer Bill »

Just got my 1972 Kitty Cat back from the A/C dealer. It had been lightly used in 1973, and then stored in a dry barn. The piston was frozen, so we replaced the crankcase seals and gearcase seal. It started right up today, but it won’t idle. It just dies if you let up on the throttle. He said something about lack of vacuum, and he thinks I need a new carb (not sure what brand) for about $150.

Tonight I disassembled the carb to see if I could find anything wrong. I had cleaned it before, but I had not removed and cleaned the nozzle. I did that today, using carb cleaner and a Q-tip. I’m not sure which way the holes were facing before but, thanks to this forum, I now know they’re supposed to face the engine. If they were facing the wrong way before, could that be the cause of the idling problem? I will try to start it up again tomorrow.

There’s a small brass tube at the top of the choke valve opening. It’s labeled “Air-Jet” on the parts diagram (not the “Main Air-Jet,” which is further back in the choke opening). From the shape of the carb body, it looks like this Air-Jet opening, beginning with the brass tube, runs halfway along the top of the carb body, then makes a 90 degree turn and opens to the outside. I stuck the carb cleaner straw into this tube, and it’s completely blocked. Isn’t it supposed to lead somewhere? Could this also be the cause of the idling problem? Any ideas how to open this passage, besides finding the world’s smallest drain snake?

air jet

Post by 72 »

Before you read this, please realize that I dont have one of those in front of me, one air jet I think leads to the top of the e-tube and the other feeds the idle circuit. If you are pushing cleaner through either one, cleaner should be coming out somewhere. Did you remove the air jet itself (small brass tube)? The purpose of these is to "adjust" fuel metering by difference of air pressure (Pretty much vacuum differences based on filter and atmospheric conditions)

You could try some compressed air to clear the blockage or find a set of "torch files" but if the passage makes any major angles then you could be screwed. The techumseh carb could be a viable option depending on what your going for.
Farmer Bill

Post by Farmer Bill »

72 -- Thanks for your expertise.

For the record, this is a T5A carb.

Contrary to what I said in my original post, the small brass tube I'm concerned about is not the Air-Jet or the Main Air-Jet. It is not shown on the parts diagram, and doesn't have a part number. Maybe it's considered to be part of the carb body.

There are 3 small openings inside the choke throat.

In the 9 o'clock position is the Air-Jet
At 12 o'clock is the small brass tube
At 1 o'clock is the Main Air-Jet.
At 6 o'clock is an embedded brass ball bearing that might be the stop for the choke butterfly valve.

The two air jets are slotted, so I guess they can be unscrewed, but I haven't tried removing them, because they're not dirty or blocked, and when I blow air through them it comes out somewhere else.

The small brass tube has no part number on the parts list. I tried to pull it out gently with needle nose pliers, but it doesn't move, and I don't think that would help anyway. The apparent blockage is further inside the carb body. But a blockage seems unlikely, because this sled has been so lightly used. I suppose there could be gas/oil residue in there, not dirt. I filled the tube/tunnel with carb cleaner and will let it soak overnight.

I don't know what an e-tube or idle circuit are, but I'll call my dealer tomorrow and tell him what you said. I'm not looking for high performance, just want to get this thing running right for my nieces to ride.

Post by 72 »

For less that the cost of 1 hour of dealership labor, you can put a tecumseh carb on it and be able to get parts if you ever need any. Those kikaki carbs are a lost cause IMHO simply because you cant get parts for them when they take a dump. I will try to get a pic of a kawasaki with a tech carb on it. Or search the forums, its been discussed here b4.
Farmer Bill

Post by Farmer Bill »

Finally got this motor started today, after recleaning all the jets and passageways in the carb, and it idles just fine now.

My dealer said the small brass "tube to nowhere" inside the top of the air intake opening may be a part of the carb that was only used for high-performance carbs, and so was not drilled through on my standard Kitty Cat carb. That's the only thing he could think of.
trdehmer

Post by trdehmer »

I can't get mine to idle either. Took it all apart and didn't find any blockages. I did notice that item #11 in the microfiche (Guide Screw) is loose on mine and I can't tighten it to make a good seal. Is that an issue?

I can get it to run, but won't stay idling.

I did try messing with the low speed screw but that didn't get me anywhere. Engine did like to load up on me sometimes and I'd have to kill it to get it to calm down.

http://www.alpha-sports.com/arctic_cat_parts.htm

Go to 1972-1973 Kitty Cat Carb.