We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Engine bogs when warm

Kawasaki or Suzuki, assembly, disassembly, troubleshooting questions.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

jeffv

Engine bogs when warm

Post by jeffv »

I have a 96 kitty cat. It runs great for about 20 minutes. Then it bogs when starting out. If I lift up the track it will run great at full throttle. It just doesn't seem to have enough torque to get the sled moving. If I push it until it is moving fairly fast then it is fine until it slows down again. If I let it cool off for a few minutes it is fine again. Any ideas?
danwheeler660

Post by danwheeler660 »

im having the same problem have you found out the problem yet
1998 kitty cat
kidsperformance

Post by kidsperformance »

see what I posted in "kitty cat chat"
jeffv

bogs when warm

Post by jeffv »

No. I noticed the gear case gets very hot. I tried to pull the clutch to check/change the gear oil and I couldn't. It makes me think it's never been done. I added an ounce of oil and it ran about a 1/2 hour tonight before it started bogging. That is the longest it has run bog free. Maybe it is very low on oil causing the gears to heat up and bind. I would like to change the oil and fill it to the proper level. Anyone got a good method for getting a stuck clutch off?
snoeproe

Post by snoeproe »

Did you remove the counter sunk set screw on the clutch before trying to remove it?
1977 Kitty Cat
1992 Kitty Cat
steve0

Re: bogs when warm

Post by steve0 »

jeffv wrote:No. I noticed the gear case gets very hot. I tried to pull the clutch to check/change the gear oil and I couldn't. It makes me think it's never been done. I added an ounce of oil and it ran about a 1/2 hour tonight before it started bogging. That is the longest it has run bog free. Maybe it is very low on oil causing the gears to heat up and bind. I would like to change the oil and fill it to the proper level. Anyone got a good method for getting a stuck clutch off?
I changed out a clutch last year....the one I took off was extremely hard to get off. I sprayed PB Blaster on it and let it sit overnight. The next day I sprayed it again and very lightly tapped the clutch with a hammer and the clutch finally came off.
jeffv

Post by jeffv »

Steve0 & Snoeproe Yes I did remove the set screw and I am now soaking it in penetrating oil. Thanks

Post by 72 »

In this situation,A little bit of never seize goes along way for the next guy.