We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Kitty Cat Bogging possible solution

Carburetors - adjust, rebuild, repair, etc.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

gdouglas8

Kitty Cat Bogging possible solution

Post by gdouglas8 »

I have a 1999 Kitty cat which was picked up about 2 years ago but never really run b/c of poor performance and it was particularly sensative to throttle response.
It would bog or stall and not re-start easily.
I rebuilt the carb several times making sure it was clean.
Although the machine had low hours on it I checked compression which was at 80psi, this seemed low.
I put new piston and rings in it. The oem rings where beyond their service limit, the piston was perfect but I put a new one in anyway.

Now that I had a new top end. I knew it should function properly.

***While it was apart and knowing piston port machine are just sensative in general I "rolled the dice" and modified the stock exhaust. The exhaust would not come off while the engine was in the sled so the engine had to be pulled anyway. When I reinstalled the exhaust I used bolts and tossed the oem studs and nuts so now I can remove the exhaust while the engine is still in the sled...going forward.

I cut the oem muffler in half and removed its internals completely and welded it back together.
Yes, it is a bit louder than original.
However, the sled does not bog, at all, and revs clean all the way to peak rpm and back down.

Now i'm not certain if it was the new top end or the modified exhaust but the sled starts and runs well.

As for starting procedure, I use full choke and hold the throttle wide open until it starts to show signs of life, then I turn the choke off and still hold the throttle open until it starts. Once running it seems to re-start easily.

Sorry for the long post, but, I hope this may help others.
Wheels06

bogging answer

Post by Wheels06 »

Thanks gdouglas8, I really don't want to have pull the whole engine and then reweld the exhaust, but I might just try it!
gdouglas8

Re: bogging answer

Post by gdouglas8 »

Wheels06 wrote:Thanks gdouglas8, I really don't want to have pull the whole engine and then reweld the exhaust, but I might just try it!
You may not have to pull the engine but rather loosen the engine plate bolts, or remove them so that you can lift the engine enough to pull the muffler off.
I would suggest removing the exhaust studs and replace them with bolts when you put it back together.
My girls rode their sled the other night and it ran well for the first time in a long time. I checked the plug and it was dark in color but dry, so it running a bit rich. I mixed the premix at 32:1 just to play it safe, so far so good.