We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Restored 1999 Kitty Kat

Talk about the oldies, restore, repair, etc.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

davidv

Restored 1999 Kitty Kat

Post by davidv »

I started this project in the summer and now it's finished. The sled was in average shape, cracked windshield, hood, belly pan and console. I replaced all the plastic pieces and I disassembled the entire sled. I had the frame and metal pieces sandblasted and then powder coated black. The main section of the frame was rusted very badly. The part of the tunnel where the feet go was rusted almost all the way through. I had a welder replace a small section of steel. To prevent this in the future I placed aluminum diamond plate in that area. The diamond plate is bolted down. The bumpers were in good shape so I stripped the paint and had them powder coated. The seat was not torn but showed wear, luckily I found a new seat cover on ebay and replaced the old seat. The motor was completely disassembled. I replaced all the seals and gaskets in the motor and I did a compression test and the motor had 125 psi. I found a complete original set of 1999 decals on ebay cheap. The tunnel is also covered in a black diamond plate vinyl decal. It's hard to tell its a decal. I added a Dan The Man lift kit on it. This is a must for all sleds because it adds about 4" of ground clearance. I replaced the taillight with a new style LED light and it's about 70% brighter than stock. I didn't like the plain steel handgrips on the later model sleds. I added Padding to the handle bars. I wanted to thank John fron FXRDeals.com he supplied about 95% of the parts to make this happen.

I still have a few things left to do: Clean and attatch gas tank and muffler.

PICS:

Farmer Bill

Beautiful restoration

Post by Farmer Bill »

This sled looks awesome. You do beautiful work.
sickboy

Post by sickboy »

Wow you did a nice job on that.
Let it SNOW!!!!!!!!!!
3Kats

Kitty Cat

Post by 3Kats »

EXCELLENT JOB!!!

Is the machine on your pool table? :D
davidv

Re: Kitty Cat

Post by davidv »

3Kats wrote:EXCELLENT JOB!!!

Is the machine on your pool table? :D
Yep its on the pool table. I did the assembly on it. Still have to wait 1 more year to use it my son is only 20 months old.
goffrey33

where did you get the grips and led taillight?

Post by goffrey33 »

Hi David, quick question, I am in the process of restoring a 95 KC. Where did you find the grips and the LED taillight? Nice work by the way.
davidv

Re: where did you get the grips and led taillight?

Post by davidv »

goffrey33 wrote:Hi David, quick question, I am in the process of restoring a 95 KC. Where did you find the grips and the LED taillight? Nice work by the way.
The grips are tennis racquet grips and the led light I got from ebay. the light is a 12V led.
camaroman1969

Post by camaroman1969 »

Hi Dave!! My son has a 1997 Kitty Kat and is in need of a body lift, like the one you have. Could you tell me where you purchased the "Dan the
Man" lift kit???? Also, did your Kitty Kat sell that you had posted????
Thanks!! Don in Michigan