We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Children and throttle control

Kitty Cat chat area, almost anything goes but keep it clean and snowmobile related.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

Children and throttle control

Post by 72 »

I think everyone who reads this has a story or two on this topic (not yet? you will have some stories real soon), my son use to use the throttle as an on off switch. A couple fence posts and a creek later, seemed to help him become more controlled last winter. Anyone have anything they want to share from their childhood? Or from teaching their child ? You know, share an experience that may help someone with one of the the most frustrating situations these little machines can bring .

Turning is another issue, not as entertaining. But feel free to share those as well.
Rick

Post by Rick »

I bought our Kitty Cat when our first daughter was three months old. I found tying a rope to the rear bumper let me control the speed. Yes, lots of running! Over the years I've done this a dozen or so times with kids. Yesterday my niece got on it and squeezed it. I could be getting old or maybe the mods by Power By Karl required me to drop to the ground to stop her! I got up and told her to go slower. That was all it took. She shared her turn the rest of the weekend. As far as steering, there is a lot of shovel time making banks (especially near trees and such).
Hope this helps.
KC fever
beef

Post by beef »

My daughter is 4. I did the rope to the bumper thing with her, she needed to know i was there for her to feel comfortable. It only took about 5 minutes for her to ace it.

My son was 3 when he got his first quad. We played with the race car set to learn how the throttle works pull harder/go faster/wipe out. worked really well actually.

Our kitty has gears and the gov tied off. we make trails with the big sled so any mistakes are quickly soaked up by a big soft snow drift.
redgreen

Post by redgreen »

I put a small hose clamp onto the handle bar with the screw behind the throttle lever. I positioned the clamp so that when the throttle hit the clamp, the clutch would just engage enough to keep the machine running slowly on hard pack.
Kitty cat powder

Post by Kitty cat powder »

Just picked up 1997 kitty for 4 year old daughter. Went for first little ride in back yard last night. Second pass she hit the fence (she is fine) bent skis and front bumper. I think we will use the rope and take her out to the lake. She loves her new kitty cat!!

Post by 72 »

All this snow and no new stories............. How about some pics of the "high speed " front bumpers or ski tips.
snoeproe

Post by snoeproe »

I wrapped the front bumper with foam pipe insulation and held it on with zip ties.
1977 Kitty Cat
1992 Kitty Cat
DANA HICKEY

KILL SWITCH

Post by DANA HICKEY »

KITTY CAT
THERE WAS A LINE ( PCS. OF STRING ) TIED TO THE KEY, WHICH LED TO WHAT APEARED TO BE A KILL SWITCH-- THIS IS A SMALL PLASTIC COVER WHICH IS BROKEN THAT GOES OVER THE KILL SWITCH -- ANY IDEA WHAT THE CORRECT DEFINITION OF THIS PART IS AND WHERE CAN I BUY ONE ????
THANKS IN ADVANCE
DANA HICKEY