We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

1980 Suzuki Spirit Piston

Kawasaki or Suzuki, assembly, disassembly, troubleshooting questions.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

PatrickP

Post by PatrickP »

:shock: Hello,
Just asking, does Suzuki offer an oversized piston and ring set?

I have all ready purchased new stock piston and ring set. My question is, the ring set has a wavy expander ring that goes behind one of the rings. Is this expander for the top or bottom ring?

Thanks for your reply.
1121racinkitty

Post by 1121racinkitty »

ben in a bunch of engines never seen what ure splainin!!
John at olson brothers is workin piston and rings
Try him see parts supplier board 4 number and website
KITTY CATS ROCK!
PatrickP

1980 Rings

Post by PatrickP »

Hello,

The Suzuki part # for the rings is 12140-05100-000 and the arctic cat part number on the ring set is 3002-477 (written by hand). help! Are these the correct rings for 1980 Spirit. The 2 rings are not identical, one is slightly fatter than the other and they are not the same length. I assume the wavy ring goes with the longer ring. The thin wavy ring, I believe goes against the piston and then the ring goes on top of it.

Help! Am I correct? :cry:

Patrick

Here my phone 216 577-3936
Jonn

Post by Jonn »

Wow. I just checked the part numbers and I don't see a match for the Suzuki number and the Arctic Cat number comes back to the '77 to '89 model years. That part number has been superseded by 3003-683 which was released from '90 to '99. This is the latest rings for all Suzuki Kitty Cat engines.

I've never seen a "wavy" ring in a Kitty Cat. If you're describing what I think you are in that there's a wavy spacer that is located behind the ring, that's typically a four stroke oil ring. I'm wondering if someone swapped rings around in the package. Not sure, but what you described doesn't make sense to me as I understand you. Sorry I couldn't be more help, but I could provide you pictures of the differences. jonn@fxrdeals.com
Jonn
Olson Brothers
http://obups
651-395-2296
kidsperformance

Post by kidsperformance »

There are 2 oversizes available. .5 and 1.0mm over. Arctic Cat only offers 1.0mm. The .5mm you can order from a suzuki shop. The stock piston also you can get from the suzuki dealer but don't give then the last 3 numbers it doesn't come up in there system the over sizes are a different #. It's the same piston that the 1970 TS50 suzuki motor bike uses...The wavey ring thing I think is suppose to go behind the bottom ring, but I never use them I always throw them out. Be careful the rings are 2 different thicknes and they are tapered on 1 edge. On the tapered side you will also find a small letter stamped....that's the top....the oversize pistons the rings are the same thickness
PatrickP

Post by PatrickP »

Thank you all for responding. I did use the wavy ring on the bottom and I put everything back together correctly.

Why does Kidperformance throw out the wavy ring and not use them?

Patrick
kidsperformance

I do that for when I build a stock racing engine the wavey ring creates to much friction....without the wavey ring will last 1/2 to 3/4 of a race season...Ive even seen longer....Ive seen winning engines during teardown have 2yr old rings in them

Post by 72 »

kidsperformance wrote:I do that for when I build a stock racing engine the wavey ring creates to much friction....without the wavey ring will last 1/2 to 3/4 of a race season...Ive even seen longer....Ive seen winning engines during teardown have 2yr old rings in them
Sounds like some cylinders are set up more square to the crank than others. Wondering how one ring would work.
kidsperformance

Must have both rings in there...There is a certain crank duration when the bottom ring is in line with the exhaust, transfers, and intake ports at the same time...don't want hot gases and fresh charge fighting each other...don't know what you mean about cylinders more set-up squared to the crank than others???

Post by 72 »

Oh yeah, the empty ring land would be a passage. How about using a worn or partially collapsed ring just to fill the void? Seems that at higher rpms the friction difference could be noticeable.

Sorry about the confusion, I used the term square because I couldnt remember how to spell perpendicular. The difference between a half season and 2 years, leads to the thought of, what is right and what is wrong with everything else being the same, materials,operating conditions, cylinder condition etc..