We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

1972 Kitty Fuel Line Flow Problem

Carburetors - adjust, rebuild, repair, etc.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

Walt-Dog

1972 Kitty Fuel Line Flow Problem

Post by Walt-Dog »

I have a 1972 Kitty Cat with a Kikaki Carb. Sat in storage for over 20 years. I cleaned the carb, replaced the fuel line, and fixed the leaking fuel shutoff on the gas tank. Starts so long as I push the tickler down, and get fuel to run down the overflow fuel line. Here's my problem - I can not get the fuel to consistenly run from the tank into the carb. I have to monkey with the fuel line everytime I want to start it to get fuel flowing into the carb. The needle valve and hinge are working perfectly. Problem seems to be between the gas tank and the carb. Hoping someone else has had this problem and tell me how to fix it.
Walt-Dog
Kitty Cat 72
Asocia1975

Post by Asocia1975 »

did you check the components in the carb there might be some parts that needs to be replaced? that might solve the problem
Walt-Dog

Post by Walt-Dog »

Problem solved. The fuel filter / shutoff valve below the steel gas tank was restricting fuel flow. I replaced with a new valve, and the fuel flow problem went away. Engine is now starting without pushing the tickler down and praying for gas to flow down the overflow line. Life is good again.
Walt-Dog
Kitty Cat 72
oliveoyl

Post by oliveoyl »

:?: Hey that's the same problem I had, but there was a primer bulb in the line and because the system uses gravity it couldn't get fuel. You have the same carb as I do and I would like to ask you a question if you don't mind. When you look into the throte of the carb can you see the holes in the main nozzle (Ithink that is what they call the brass colored thing in the middle of the throte). It will only go 2 ways. Logically the holes would point towards the engine. On mine they point out. I was wondering if you could tell me how yours is. Also how are you suppose to use the tickler. do you pump it, hold it down or what? thank in advance Oliveoyl
Walt-Dog

Post by Walt-Dog »

I'll check the direction of the holes and post later. As for the tickler, it's used to force more gas to the carb for cold starts. Everytime I start, I push it down and hold until gas starts to come out the vent hole and the over flow line. It usually takes 15-25 seconds. When you push the tickler down, it pushes the hinge down, which then pushes the float down. This causes the needle valve to drop, and allow more gas to flow into the carb. By the way, when I diassembled the carb, I had to clean the main jet. It was filled with old gas that turned into varnish. I used a sewing needle to clean out the holes, and sprayed with carb cleaner. Have you done this?
Walt-Dog
Kitty Cat 72
Hermit

Post by Hermit »

Hi Walt can I ask what you used for a fitting shut-off valve? Mine works but the bowl is almost toasted. Thanks.
oliveoyl

Post by oliveoyl »

Hey Walt-Dog thanks. Ya I had the little carb apart and I used stripped twist tie to clean the jets. It is actually in good shape. Everyone advises me to replace it but I think it is fine. :D
Walt-Dog

Post by Walt-Dog »

Hermit - I purchased the fuel shutoff valve from an Artic cat dealer. The part had to be ordered. The valve is different from the original, but it works great with no leak. The part number was 2168-000. It screwed into the bottom of my steel fuel tank.
Walt-Dog
Kitty Cat 72
Hermit

Post by Hermit »

Thank you Walt. I appreciate it. It seems like this one isn't yet broken through the plastic bowl yet although fractured. After a year's worth of research now it seems like someone wants to buy this sled so it all may be for nothing. It was fun doing the legwork though. some very helpful sledders out there. Thank you.