We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

97 kittycat engine bogs and dies

Kawasaki or Suzuki, assembly, disassembly, troubleshooting questions.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

corman

97 kittycat engine bogs and dies

Post by corman »

Just wondering if anyone has had a problem like this. I started my kids kitty cat up this fall and after warming it up with the choke on, as soon as I took the choke off and tried to give it gas it would bog and then die. Even after the engine is hot it still needs choke to get started again, unless I put a little gas in the jug before starting. It seems like it's starving for fuel. The plug is new, gas is new. Could the float be sticking and not letting fuel in when it needs it? Is a simple carb rebuild in order? Any suggestions would be great.
Asocia1975

Post by Asocia1975 »

did you check the fuel line? i used to have that same problem with my snowmobile. sometimes it clogs up or there's a crack on the fuel line. when it bogs it means air is getting into the motor.
corman

engine bogs and dies

Post by corman »

Thanks, but I was just fishing if anyone had the same problems as I did. The fuel line was hard but had no cracks,however I replaced it. As I suspected the carb just needed a good cleaning, alot of green inside. I took it apart and let it soak in carb cleaner, blew it out and put it back together. Runs better than it ever did.
stephen79

Re: 97 kittycat engine bogs and dies

Post by stephen79 »

I know this is an old post but I found that carb cleaning does the trick more often than not. Carb replacement becomes the best option when you disassemble the carb and find cracked gaskets or obvious signs of failure. It seems like adjusting or cleaning these old carbs works just fine 90% of the time.
Attachments
Carb Cleaners
Carb Cleaners
carb-cleaning.png (143.01 KiB) Viewed 10952 times
stephen79

Re: 97 kittycat engine bogs and dies

Post by stephen79 »

Hope you got this resolved!! I hate carb problems