We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

ball joints/steering shafts on 77 kitty

Talk about the oldies, restore, repair, etc.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

snoeproe

ball joints/steering shafts on 77 kitty

Post by snoeproe »

I'd like to remove some of the looseness/slack in the steering on my daughters 77 kitty. The tie rod between the spindles on the 77's connects to the spindles with sloppy hair pins, not ball joints like on the 78 and newer kitty's. I see Olson bros sells new aluminum steering shafts with ball joints on them. If i purchase a set of new steering shafts from Olson bros, will the ball joints bolt onto my stock 77 spindles? I'm also debating on purchasing a lift kit from Dam the Man. Will i need the new steering shafts with ball joints to use DTM's new offset spindles or will my stock 77 tie rod with no ball joints and hair pins work with Dan's spindles?
1977 Kitty Cat
1992 Kitty Cat
snoeproe

Post by snoeproe »

The top spindle plates are worn too much to my liking, they are being replaced with new ones. My steering rods are also worn too much for my liking. I'm assuming i can buy 78 style steering rods with ball joints and just bolt them on. Those new components should remove some of my steering slack issues.
1977 Kitty Cat
1992 Kitty Cat
brad dodge

plates

Post by brad dodge »

yes they get worn go to a parts store and get helm joints for the ends much better , send me a e-mail and i could send you a pic of the set up i have some heavy duty plates a guy made or new a/c pedalnut2@yahoo.com brad
MAD BRAD