We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Tune Up

Talk about the oldies, restore, repair, etc.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

westbendcat

Tune Up

Post by westbendcat »

To 1121racinkitty: I have a 94 Kitty Cat, do you work on them? It runs well, I am just looking for someone to give it a tune up, check condition etc. I am not too familiar with snowmobiles. Like I said, it runs just looking for a check up.

David in West Bend WI.
1121racinkitty

Post by 1121racinkitty »

DAVID YES I WORK ON KITTYS
BEN PUTZIN SINCE 1976 WHEN
DAD BOUGHT MY 77 WHICH IM
IN THE PROCESS OF RESTORING/
BUILDING A RACER FOR MY 6 YEAR OLD SON
WOULD GLADLY TAKE CARE OF YOURS OR ANYONE
ELSES FOR A MINIMAL FEE IM NOT OUT
TO GET RICH JUST TO PROMOTE FAMILY FUN
AND MAKE KIDS SMILE!!!!
BOTH MY DAUGHTER AND SON HAVE DAILY DRIVERS
THAT I BUILT THE MOTORS FOR!!!
CALL ME 262-790-0106 OR MY CELL 262-565-3787
AND NO IM NOT WATCHIN THE PACKER GAME IM POLISHING
THE TUNNEL FOR THE RACE SLED RIGHT NOW JUST TOOK A BREAK TO
SEE WHAT GOIN ON IN THE WORLD OF KITTYS!!!!
KITTY CATS ROCK!
markbano

Post by markbano »

racinkitty

I have two Kitty's (1987 and 1991). The rod bearing failed on one of them - it ran but sounded like a squeaky rattlebox. I rebuilt the engine, w/ new bearings, crankcase seals, gaskets, and rings. I also ended up replacing the piston. It runs great now, but it was a fair amount of time and hassle.

Now my second Kitty has developed the squealing bearing sound. It runs OK but the bearings sound bad and it gets very hot. I'm assuming that it, too, needs new bearings and I've ordered everything to rebuild this one, too.

I know you rebuild a lot of these. Is this failure of the lower rod/crank needle bearing a common problem in these? Mine are older machines and my sons ride them hard, with the governors disconnected, hour after hour. One boy is 7 and the other is 9. Maybe I just need bigger sleds. However, these Kittys seem perfect for them and the boys love them to death. I just don't want to keep rebuilding engines. Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated! I'm running 50:1 on the oil. The problem has occurred on both sleds after the airboxes rattled loose and allowed them to run leaner. Not sure if this is coincidental or a causal factor.

P.S. - I'm from Chicago but I DID root for the Packers in the playoffs!

Check out our boat rebuilding website - www.hydrodyners.com. You sound like someone that might enjoy it. Under "media" - check out my video -- "Banodyne" .

Best!

Markbano
THX_138

Post by THX_138 »

markbano wrote:racinkitty

I have two Kitty's (1987 and 1991). The rod bearing failed on one of them - it ran but sounded like a squeaky rattlebox. I rebuilt the engine, w/ new bearings, crankcase seals, gaskets, and rings. I also ended up replacing the piston. It runs great now, but it was a fair amount of time and hassle.

Now my second Kitty has developed the squealing bearing sound. It runs OK but the bearings sound bad and it gets very hot. I'm assuming that it, too, needs new bearings and I've ordered everything to rebuild this one, too.

I know you rebuild a lot of these. Is this failure of the lower rod/crank needle bearing a common problem in these? Mine are older machines and my sons ride them hard, with the governors disconnected, hour after hour. One boy is 7 and the other is 9. Maybe I just need bigger sleds. However, these Kittys seem perfect for them and the boys love them to death. I just don't want to keep rebuilding engines. Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated! I'm running 50:1 on the oil. The problem has occurred on both sleds after the airboxes rattled loose and allowed them to run leaner. Not sure if this is coincidental or a causal factor.

P.S. - I'm from Chicago but I DID root for the Packers in the playoffs!

Check out our boat rebuilding website - www.hydrodyners.com. You sound like someone that might enjoy it. Under "media" - check out my video -- "Banodyne" .

Best!

Markbano
You might have answered your own question
A lot of variables apply once you dismantle the function
of the governor
t-dub13

Post by t-dub13 »

The rod big end bearing goes because it doesn't get enough lubrication at high RPMs. The trick is to machine a small hole in the bottom of the rod (like high rpm motors have) or use the new updated rod with the slot already in it. One thing about the new rod is it has to be clearanced properly because it's too tight in stock form. Ask Bill Tripp. He's explained it to me better than I can tell you. I'll try to find his email....

Found it!!!

Here's an excerpt from Bill Tripp explaining more:

"word of caution.....the lower rod is not designed to sustain any high rpms over any length of time. This motor was designed not to rev over 6000 rpm. There is no slot cut into the lower rod to get any lub into the lower crank bearing.....Suzuki does make a slotted rod for that motor.....if you want I can get you the part # and you can go to your local suzuki dealer and order the part.....last time I bought them they were around $47 dollars also if you get the rod it is alil tight on the bearing a will have to honed out about .0003 to .0005 thousands for a proper fit"

Hope this helps! T-dub13
markbano

Post by markbano »

Thanks for the help!

Seems like an expensive fix for yard Kittys.

How about running a 36:1 mix with a good oil? I might try that.
kidsperformance

Post by kidsperformance »

I just posted in the "kitty cat engine"
kidsperformance

Post by kidsperformance »

"markbano"....I live just down the street from you :arrow: :arrow:
markbano

Post by markbano »

Hey - I fly over you all the time on approach to Aurora Airport! I fly out of LL10 (Naper Aero). I do a bit of pattern flying over at ARR and so I'm over Yorkville quite a bit.

Glad to know there's an expert nearby.

I think I"m in the same boat a lot of guys are in on these snowmobiles. My 7 and 9 year old boys don't want to go 8MPH and I don't really want them going 20MPH so I need something in between - there really is nothing. I can't see spending $1,500 apiece for 120's that they will grow out of right away - and it sounds like I've got to re-attach the governors on the Kittys. Has anyone tried installing a governor on a larger sled - like maybe on an Ovation 340 - to make it safe for younger kids?

Let me know when you want to go flying. I'll pick you up at Aurora airport.

Best,

Markbano
JKSAFD

Restore a 72

Post by JKSAFD »

I just picked up a 72 and it runs for about 20 mins and dies out.

I am a jack of all and master of none. I am reliving my youth through my kids now. I had a 80 as a kid.

I would like to get this going better, and I would like to particapate if possible. Is anyone in my area open to working with me on this. I'd rather not just send it to a dealer...

I want to learn it so I can keep it going...

Thanks

John :roll: