We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

New to the Arctic Cat World

Kitty Cat chat area, almost anything goes but keep it clean and snowmobile related.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

chirprc

New to the Arctic Cat World

Post by chirprc »

Ok...here goes, I am hoping someone here knows more than I do about these things...because I know next to nothing. Last night I pick up a 98 (could be a 97 - manf date is 4/97...I'll get the VIN later) Kitty Cat for $400 because the people couldn't get it running. I had my uncle looked at it and declared it looked as though it hadn't been used enough to "carbon it up". The carb looks good I guess. He told me to find an owner's manual...does it really matter what year I get (either 97 or 98)? Also, the little silver box next to the chain thingy is supposed to have oil in it...this one doesn't...or at least not much (they hadn't had it running for two years). Where do you add oil and how much....? Is there a book somewhere that would tell me all of this basic stuff? That track looks brand new, there is a spark from the plug and the thing is in mint condition! I would really like to get it running, but know nothing about engines and my husband knows even less. We bought our first sleds 3 weeks ago and my son was so excited...I couldn't pass this deal up, but he'd really like to ride it, so if someone could help that would be wonderful. Thank you. Oh yeah...almost forgot. What's the best kind of oil to put in these things (in the gas)? And is one kind of gas better than another (87,89,92, non-oxygenated)? Do you use the same oil in the silver box that's supposed to have oil in it as you do to mix with the gas? What is the right gap for the spark plug...? I know, I probably have no business owning anything with this many questions, but I'd like to learn and have to start someplace....please be gentle!
t-dub13

Post by t-dub13 »

Hello Chirp! Welcome to the Kitty Cat world and to this forum.

Look hereviewtopic.php?t=1108

for the owners manual. These cats aren't high performance enough to need any specific fuel. For oil, the same pretty much applies. I use Opti2 because it's in my chainsaw gas can already. You could use any 2-stroke oil. Any ratio from 25:1 - 40:1 will work, but again I like Opti2 because it comes in a little pouch that you just dump into a 1 gal gas can. It's a no-brainer.

You'll find all the info you need in the manual, but yes there is supposed to be oil in the gearbox.

Look around in the carb help threads. You'll learn a lot just by reading.

Also, you may want to take the bogie wheel assembly apart and clean and grease it. Since it has been sitting the wheels will probably not want to turn easily which can cause problems...

Good luck!