We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Air box/cleaner/silencer...filter?

Carburetors - adjust, rebuild, repair, etc.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

tonydaddy1

Air box/cleaner/silencer...filter?

Post by tonydaddy1 »

I did a search on the forum and did not see anything on this subject...so I thought that I would ask??
I looked my 1980 Kitty and took off the air silencer and there was no filter...so I looked at the schematic and it does not show any. I know that some "winter" items such as snowblowers did not have a air filter...so I thought maybe this was the same way?? But, if you can use this on grass, what do you do about filter then to keep debris out?? Is there a K/N filter that would work? or I have in my shop some of the green foam flat filter that you can cut and work?
Seems like you would be cleaning the carb all the time...damage to engine with no filter??
Tony
Engineer

Post by Engineer »

There was no filter element in the KC when sold but there is one for the summer/wheel kit that you can add. I know I've seen one on ebay. Check with your local dealer. I would try Olson Brothers 1-888-999-3211 if your dealer does not have it.
tonydaddy1

I find a fix??

Post by tonydaddy1 »

Thanks Engineer for the response...
I have done this before on other projects and will let everyone know if this works or not....take the flat green unifilter and cut out a piece big enoght to cover the inlet holes on the silencer and sides. Then place it over the inlet and put a worm clamp around it. This should not restrict this down...but with snow tomorrow morning :roll: ( I live in cental IL)...then I will try my theory out.
Thanks
tonydaddy1

Post by tonydaddy1 »

Good try...but did not work due to motor was starving for air and would not rev up....took off and works fine.