We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Brass (zinc) Plate on top of float

Carburetors - adjust, rebuild, repair, etc.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

JustMike

Brass (zinc) Plate on top of float

Post by JustMike »

Hello,
Having a problem with fuel leaking out of side of carb (float issue). Cleaned needle and seat, but it is still leaking. I noticed there is a brass plate on top of float bowl that is not attached to anything. Is this plate supposed to be attached to top of bowl, or just free "floating". It falls out when I remove float.

thanks
mike
kidsperformance

Post by kidsperformance »

That brass plate fell off the top of the carb..it sits on 3 posts(I think)...it protects the hole you are referring too that is leaking gas....also what is happening is that the brass plate is sitting on top of the float and is weighing it down thus causing the needle and seat to open and let the fuel flow in........you can put the brass plate back on over the post and repeen them with a hammer and a center punch or you can just leave it out......if you do that it may spit out a lil fuel due to the sloshing around effect
JustMike

Thought so..

Post by JustMike »

Thanks, it kind of looked like it was once attached to the top. I figured that is what was happening (plate weighing down the float), but wanted to make sure before I did anything.

thanks again,
mike