We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Missing Head gasket!!

Kawasaki or Suzuki, assembly, disassembly, troubleshooting questions.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

ttw_walman

Missing Head gasket!!

Post by ttw_walman »

Any one ever here of this. I'm in the process of replacing my piston and rings. When I took the head off there was no gasket in there!. I've had this thing for three years now and although it's given me it's share of problems it was capable of running very strong. I'm replacing the piston and rings because of low compression when it gets hot. I'm thinkiing I may have found the real culprit. I'm just suprised it ran at all. Last year my son was 5 and rode it hard. There were times he was on a lake and rode it all day. I can't wait to see how good it runs with a head gasket in place!!! Also I see that there has been some oil coming out of the gearcase breather so iI figure I'll change the crank sealon that side while the engine is on the bench
kidsperformance

Post by kidsperformance »

I have heard of people doing that before.....there's plenty of clearance....you may want to sand the head and the top of the cyl. because it may be warped....get some 220 grit sandpaper and a piece of 1/4 glass and sand them both to make sure the are flat....yep..oil coming out of the gearcase breather.....you're right that seal is gone :D :D
t-dub13

Post by t-dub13 »

COOL! Read the "Anyone ever heard of this" Post below that I started. You won't want to put a head gasket in... :lol: 8)
1121racinkitty

Post by 1121racinkitty »

YES YOU WILL WANT A GASKET!!!
THATS A POOR BOYS WAY OUTA NECESSARY
MILLING!!! IT WILL COST YOU IN THE LONG RUN!!!
YES SQUEZZE MAKE HP BUT HP HAS A PRICE!!!
DONT BE PENNY WISE AND DOLLAR IGNORANT!!!!

BILL ROCKS!!!!!!!!
KITTY CATS ROCK!
1121racinkitty

Post by 1121racinkitty »

BY THE WAY IM NOT A RICH GUY EITHER!!!

BILL ROCKS!!!!
KITTY CATS ROCK!
Jonn

Post by Jonn »

This sounds like a no-brainer, but make sure the head gasket isn't on the cylinder or head. Since the head gasket is metal it's sometimes hard to see it.

If it's not on there, a previous owner may have omitted it to increase compression. That used to be a racing trick (and illegal) from years past. Also make sure it doesn't have two base gaskets. Some people that omitted the head gasket would also double up on the base gaskets to change the port timing.

I have new gaskets if you're looking for them.
Jonn
Olson Brothers
http://obups
651-395-2296
snodaddy

Post by snodaddy »

Jonn do you sleep???? :lol:
Heacox Racing
Jonn

Post by Jonn »

LOL Not very often during the winter! :shock: Thank goodness for summers.
Jonn
Olson Brothers
http://obups
651-395-2296