We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Clutch

Buy, sell, or look for parts that are scarce and no longer available.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

Amos

Clutch

Post by Amos »

What is the finial straw when it comes to recpalcing or rebuilding a cluch? I've noticed alot of dust on the outside of the cover. I guess part of my problem is I don't exactly know how a cluch on a KC works. It's centrifugal right? Also is there any preventable maintance on a cluch?
t-dub13

Post by t-dub13 »

The dust could be from the brake band also. Make sure that it isn't dragging or set up wrong (binding, bent, misaligned). Maintenance on the centrifigual clutch is minimal, you can (should) oil the bearing with some motor oil. That's the part that wears out, first, not the shoes from my experience. With the motor running and the safety shroud off, you can see the inner part of the clutch rotating and the outer isn't.... get some oil in-between them (the farthest part away from the motor, not in the shoes)and you'll have a happy clutch. 8)
Jonn

Post by Jonn »

The manufacturer suggests wiping the clutch out with a dry cloth and using a high speed wheel bearing grease and apply a VERY thin layer of grease to the surface of the bushing (on the inside of the sprocket). Too much grease and centrifugal force will spread it into the shoe/drum area.

There is a "fiber washer" located on the hub and under the drum that should be replaced occasionally. This fiber washer helps prevent grease from reaching the shoes.

I carry all OEM clutches and parts if you're looking for anything. Clutch information is always free. :)
Jonn
Olson Brothers
http://obups
651-395-2296