We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Engine won't idle

Kawasaki or Suzuki, assembly, disassembly, troubleshooting questions.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

Thurman

Engine won't idle

Post by Thurman »

Thurman 140

10-25-2003 04:49 PM ET (US)
I am getting my daughters 1977 Kitty Cat ready for my granddaughter. After sitting for at least 8 years, it started and runs fine as long as the throttle is engaged, however after idling for 20 to 30 seconds it dies. I have disassembled and cleaned the carb., but that did not help. After reading other problems in this bulletin board I believe my problem might be the crankcase seals, so I am going to order an Engine Gasket Set and replace all the gaskets and seals.

Question 1: Am I going in the right direction or should I try something else first?
Question 2: Am I going to need any special tools to get the engine apart?
Question 3: When I reassemble the engine what is the torque pound for the head bolts?

Also can anyone tell me what the diameter is for the front ski wheels?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thurman
motoxrcr

engine won't idle

Post by motoxrcr »

Mine did the same thing, only it idled well but died when they hit the gas. Once the crank seals were replaced (both sides), it ran like a top! When I got it open, it was easy to see that one side was leaking. I think you are on the right track if you've checked the usual suspects in the carb (jets clean etc.)
tbudreck

Re: Engine won't idle

Post by tbudreck »

Thurman wrote:Thurman 140

10-25-2003 04:49 PM ET (US)
I am getting my daughters 1977 Kitty Cat ready for my granddaughter. After sitting for at least 8 years, it started and runs fine as long as the throttle is engaged, however after idling for 20 to 30 seconds it dies. I have disassembled and cleaned the carb., but that did not help. After reading other problems in this bulletin board I believe my problem might be the crankcase seals, so I am going to order an Engine Gasket Set and replace all the gaskets and seals.

Question 1: Am I going in the right direction or should I try something else first?
Question 2: Am I going to need any special tools to get the engine apart?
Question 3: When I reassemble the engine what is the torque pound for the head bolts?

Also can anyone tell me what the diameter is for the front ski wheels?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thurman
Where did you order the parts from, please let me know, I have the same problem. Thanks, tbudreck@mchsi.com
Thurman

Engine won't idle

Post by Thurman »

tbudreck

I ordered the engine gasket set (Winderosa) from Dennis Kirk. It is on page 117 in the 2004 catalog.

do you need to split the case to replace the seals

Post by guest »

just wondering...do you need to split the case to replace the seals?
won't Idle?