We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Leaking gas

Kitty Cat chat area, almost anything goes but keep it clean and snowmobile related.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

paultwo

Leaking gas

Post by paultwo »

I bought a kitty cat for my son last year but he was too young to use it. I put a bit of gas in it. I went to start it up this afternoon and it initially started up fine. I let it warm up, drove it around the yard then stopped it to put more gas. When I put in more gas it was leaking by the carb and wouldn't start anymore.

Anyone have any idea what it could be? I was reading online a bit and it seem like it might be the float but i'm not 100% sure. Small engines is not my specialty.
earl

Post by earl »

rotted gas line at the carb?
Jonn

Leaking Fuel

Post by Jonn »

It can be a few things:

1) The grommet in the bottom of the tank may be leaking which is a common problem. However, it usually doesn't prevent the engine from starting. Make sure the gas isn't running down the fuel line and then dripping off the carburetor. If it is, the grommet is currently $2.46.

2) If the fuel is coming out of the carburetor itself it could be a couple more things. In either case you'll have to remove the carburetor and float bowl.

<A> The metal splash plate on the top of the carburetor may have come lose and is holding the float open. This plate can be removed without adverse affect of the engine.

<B> The float may be cracked. Remove the pin that holds the float in (do not lose the needle that's located under the float) and lightly shake it and make sure no gas in inside. Floats are $20.94.

<C> The needle and seat may be stuck or dirty. Remove the needle from the seat and clean thoroughly. You can do this by pulling most of the cotton on a cue-tip up to protect the sharp cue-tip stick and soaking the cotton in carb cleaner. Rotate the cue-tip inside the seat and make sure the seat is clean. You'll usually see a greenish gel on the cotton afterwards if there was a dirty seat. Then clean the needle end good. Reassemble and try again. How to set the float can be found at http://obups/ServiceManuals/198 ... 20Fuel.pdf.

I hope this helps you out.
Jonn
Olson Brothers
http://obups
651-395-2296