We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

77 KITTY WONT RUN-GOING NUTS!

Kawasaki or Suzuki, assembly, disassembly, troubleshooting questions.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

t.james6

77 KITTY WONT RUN-GOING NUTS!

Post by t.james6 »

I bought my daughter a 77 kitty cat and it won't run,
I checked compression had 150 lbs, has awesome spark, brand new gas, proper mixed, new plug with proper gap, cleaned the carb and nothing,
put a known good carb on it from my friends cat nothing, put my carb on my friends and his fires right up so i know its not the carb, or spark, or compression. what else could it be?
77 EL TIGRE 5000
77 KITTY KAT

Post by 72 »

Shoot some ether into the cylinder and try to start it. If it fires on that, then your probably sucking air through a crank seal (common). If not then your ignition is way out of time or plug wire is dumping to ground. Hope this helps good luck
t.james6

Post by t.james6 »

I replaced the plug wire with a good one from the running kitty kat as well and nothing, crank seals look like there brand new, nothing when using starting fluid, how do i go about setting the timing?
77 EL TIGRE 5000
77 KITTY KAT

Post by 72 »

If you looked at the crankseals you pulled the flywheel so ill guess the flywheel is in the right position (key isn't sheared) and all the magnets are there. If your getting spark then point gap cant be off too much. Pretty much the degrees of adjustment the ignition plate allows should at least let the engine pop a couple of times regardless of its position. I'm stumped, even an engine crankcase with a major air leak will fire with ether sprayed directly into the cylinder with compression and spark being there. If it was me I would pull the cylinder head and look for something out of the ordinary or try to get some history on the sled(who tried what) who knows what may have been done to it. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
3Kats

Kitty Cat

Post by 3Kats »

Sounds easy but did you turn on the fuel petcock valve?