We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Hot Rod my Sons Kitty

Kawasaki or Suzuki, assembly, disassembly, troubleshooting questions.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

Bent head

Hot Rod my Sons Kitty

Post by Bent head »

I have a 93 Kitty Cat, been "lurking" on this site for a while but finally jumped in and joined.
I have a spare motor with a fried rod. I want to build it into a screamer. I know I need the slotted rod. And have lots of experience rebuilding and some experience with porting.
What I'd like to know, and can't find on this board is some tips on what to do make her really scream. Ya there is the mikuni carb and other bolt-on parts, but I'd like some input on what others have done to raise compression, porting specs, timing adjustments, etc.
I know some of this stuff is "racers-secret" but these are no longer raced and someone out there might be willing to help a fellow gear head make his sons kitty the fastest badest one around. Lol

Thx
I always wanted my own Kitty Kat
kidsperformance

Post by kidsperformance »

I been hopping up kitty motor for over 20yrs.. There's alot of work that can be done to a cylinder, cyl head plus the list goes on forever with extra parts. I put programmable ign on them and built the pipes....Also don't have to start my motors with a portable vacum cleaner on top of it. I've had amazing results on the dyno....The motors need to BREATHE. You will spend hours in a chair porting a cyl.....not minutes...Fuel is important as well as they run great on a pump gas called MS93 made by VP..The motors I've built turn 11,8K and has run for 2 yrs of racing without rebuilding it, and I've built them to turn 18.5K and have the rod only last one weekend. You will spend $$$$. Look up Ryan Ensor on "youtube" I built that sled and it also runs on nitrous. I put a CVT drive in a stock chassis...sky is the limit

Bill
Bent head

Post by Bent head »

Right now The squish is at 2.5mm. Was going to set it closer to 0.8 - 1.0 by machining the head. Wanted to open up the porting too. Any suggestions on exhaust, transfer and intake durations? I don't want an all out racer. Just want to spin 8000 - 9000 and keep up with the 120's.
I always wanted my own Kitty Kat

Post by 72 »

For a 8-9k range a good starting point would be to raise the exhaust port 3mm and widen 2-3mm tighten up the radius of the corners of the port will also help 1x1 chamfer all around. For the transfers raise the front half (exhaust port side) 2.5 mm and the rear half 3mm elongate the port toward the rear 1.5-2mm and the front 1mm, chamfer the front half 1x1 and the rear half 2x2 on the top and rear and 1x1 on the bottom, blend into the pocket as best you can, or your tool will let you. For the transfer openings on the bottom of the cylinder, match the outline of the gasket and blend the pockets.
The changes to the intake port (piston port) will be determined by what size carb you plan on using. You will also have to build a pipe, and find a higher engagement clutch. For the cylinder head, I wouldnt remove more than 1-1.5mm in the band area and thats just to widen it a bit (cut to match the shape of the piston crown). I prefer to deck the cylinder being that is iron to get the squish tighter, 1mm squish would be a good target.

Porting iron cylinders suck and take forever. For the time involved, a cheap four stroke would be a much easier route to accomplish what you are looking to do . Your check book and wrists will thank you later.
JamesS

Re: Hot Rod my Sons Kitty

Post by JamesS »

Kidsperformance and 72 would either one of you be willing to port and shave my daughters 91 Kitty cylinder and head? I'm looking to make it a mild mod so it can go in deeper snow, so looking at a lift kit, 10:1 compression or so, 8 to 9K RPM, 20 or 22MM Mikuni, custom pipe.