We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Kawasaki running problems

Carburetors - adjust, rebuild, repair, etc.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

Tkarcticcat's

Kawasaki running problems

Post by Tkarcticcat's »

Can someone please help I'm about to throw this motor out. I have completely resealed and gasketed the motor completely cleaned the carb 4 times took it apart and cleaned every orfice. The motor revs up fine but it will not idle and it only runs on 1/4 choke if I open it the choke all the way it bogs right out. Also the main jet in the center will only let it run when its pointing out of the carb not faceing the motor. The only reason I'm puting so much effort in this motor because its been in the family since new and I'm trying to get it running for my 4 year old. It is a 73 kitty cat

Post by 72 »

I would crank the air screw in a 1/4 turn to enrich the bottom end then check for improvement, if no improvement is seen go another 1/8 turn, if still nothing, raise the float level. If that provides no improvement you may have to bite the bullet and get a different carb. good luck!
Tkarcticcat's

Post by Tkarcticcat's »

Thank you for the quick response I've done the air screw but not the float so I'll try that.
Miles76

I have a similar Problem

Post by Miles76 »

I have a similar problem with a 1996, I just posted a topic. I havent changed the seals yet, but that was my next step. I am just curious as to what your theory is behind raising the float level? And by raising it do you mean raising the level of the fuel in the carb?
Tkarcticcat's

Post by Tkarcticcat's »

I took the carb apart again and noticed that the air screw are different does the bigger one go on the left for the low speed circuit.

Post by 72 »

There is only one air screw, its by the flange that mounts to the cylinder. If you have more than one I would suspect that its not the original carb.
Tkarcticcat's

Post by Tkarcticcat's »

If you take off the air cleaner there two air jets and if you look at the old microfiche its number 8 and 20 I mis worded myself

Post by 72 »

Ok, I see now, yeah those two air jets are different sizes. Ive never had to remove those before. Usually just blow some carb cleaner and air through just to make sure the passages are clear. If you suspect they were swapped, you could just flip the positions and check for a change. I dont have one of those handy to compare for you, sorry.
Tkarcticcat's

Post by Tkarcticcat's »

Yeah I took them out because the one on the left feeds air to the air screw and the low speed jet, there all tied together. I'm gonna try today because I raised the float and I switched the air jets, I'll post how I made out later.
Tkarcticcat's

Post by Tkarcticcat's »

Update I played again with it tonight and I had to put the air jets back to the way they were. I played with the air screw but I still can't open the choke all the way it runs on half choke but boges at low rpm's any suggestions
Tkarcticcat's

Post by Tkarcticcat's »

If I go the route with a new carb should I get one that fits the suzuki motor or buy a tecumseh carb