We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Better engine alternative.. 2.5hp OHV

Kitty Cat chat area, almost anything goes but keep it clean and snowmobile related.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

929rog

Better engine alternative.. 2.5hp OHV

Post by 929rog »

Had many of these kittys and 1 left for my youngest daughter. I never really liked the 2 stroke, its ok but only after buying the $140 mikuni 18mm carb. I was going to do the 6.5 hp conversion but It is very tight and a little overkill for a 3 year old. So I bought a harbor freight 2.5hp OHV "greyhound" engine for around $80 shipped (with coupon). With a pipe and turn the governor up some I have heard of 4+hp. Guys run these on motorized bikes. I ran it all summer ion a go kart and cant believe how strong it is. Pulled me on the Kart excellent geared for 20mph. Best parts of this conversion. 5/8 shaft, use the kitty cat clutch. The Whole motor fits under the hood, tank and all. Very east to install. Here are some pics. I am making the pipe this weekend. here are some pics
929rog

Post by 929rog »

almost done

Post by 72 »

Very nice! Cant wait to see the video.
929rog

Post by 929rog »

Been working on the brakes. Order a z120 brake mount that bolts to the motor and will work perfect. I'll have more pics whenever the mount comes in. I have a short video or it running but have not figured out how to get it on here yet.

Post by 72 »

You could put the vid on youtube and post a link here. Have any pics of the pipe before you put the wrap on it? Make any jet changes?
929rog

Post by 929rog »

I dint have a pic of the pipe. Bought a flange from affordablekarts.com I think and has 1 inch pipe bent as tight as I could. Then just used a hardware store muffler. It will need to be re jetted. Its pretty lean now. Used to start 1st pull everytime now it starts hard. I'll get a video of it around the yard as soon as we get a little snow or the ground freezes.
Tkarcticcat's

Post by Tkarcticcat's »

I'm glad to see that you can do a motor swap because I have a 72 Kitty cat thats been in the family since new. The only problem is my oldest brother tore it apart after the orignal kawi motor blew up. Then he decided to loose half of the engine parts. Please post more pic's so I can get some more ideas.
1999beast

Post by 1999beast »

You said your working on the brakes are you putting on completely new brakes? Cause my 1999 kitty cat just has a piece of metal around the clutch that tightens when you pull the clutch. The brakes did nothing when I bought it but I adjusted them to work in case I need them but being 14 I can handle driving a sled at 8mph
929rog

Post by 929rog »

Tkarcticcat's wrote:I'm glad to see that you can do a motor swap because I have a 72 Kitty cat thats been in the family since new. The only problem is my oldest brother tore it apart after the orignal kawi motor blew up. Then he decided to loose half of the engine parts. Please post more pic's so I can get some more ideas.

you can do the whole thing for under $200 with all new parts including the engine. I'm posting a video in a couple minutes. Got the brakes fixed. Bought a z120 brake mount, bolts to side of the motor and worked perfectly.
929rog

Post by 929rog »

http://youtu.be/AI-auqJEp5Q
lets see if this works
929rog

Post by 929rog »

i had a really junk clutch on it. I just ordered the Hilliard extreme duty. It has adjustable engagement, it needs more. That cluch engages right above idle. Impressed with the motor and I had a stop on the throttle. So far.. Harbor freight 2.5 ohv motor $80 z 120 brake mount $24 Asuza brake band and cable $28 throttle cable $12 and now the $50 clutch.

Post by 72 »

929rog wrote:http://youtu.be/AI-auqJEp5Q
lets see if this works

Thanks for sharing the vid, looks like everything came together very good.
SlackerP488

hey 929

Post by SlackerP488 »

nice engine!! questions for ya where did you get the low cut windsheild?

Mike
Mike Barry
greggmi

Nice job, great info too!

Post by greggmi »

I just bought a 73 kitty for my grand daughter and it ran for about 20 minutes. I took the thing apart and the list of parts I need are: crank seals, ign coil, lighting coil, clutch, and the reduction gear shaft is worn where the seal rides. Just some TLC ya know. We'll since the ignition parts are not available I was happy to see that there was an alternative that would put things in new condition. I am pretty sure that I am going to get the Harbor Freight engine and go that way. Thanks for the great info!
zerko

top speed

Post by zerko »

So what do you think is the top speed. Looks like it turned out great.
jstjay

Post by jstjay »

been looking for the 2.5 on harbor freight cant seem to find it any help looking thanks

Post by 72 »

jstjay

Post by jstjay »

thanks I may have to give this a try now all we need is snow!
jstjay

Post by jstjay »

do you happen to have any good pic's on where you ran the throtle & brake cable
zerko

Snow fell and so did the Kitty Cats

Post by zerko »

I picked up a 1980 and 1996 Kitty cat, at are first good snow the 80 ran 5 minutes and clutch and track sprocket when out. changed it out ran it for a day and down again. I saw sparks down at the coil, looks like bad coil wire.
The 96 runs 20 minutes and die's . Well to rebuild these your looking at $50.00 to $100.00 each. So I think a 2.5hp OHV motor sounds good.