We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Anyone else try this yet?

Kitty Cat chat area, almost anything goes but keep it clean and snowmobile related.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

Anyone else try this yet?

Post by 72 »

Dont mind the fuel tank its just for testing Image

catman20

Post by catman20 »

Can you tell us what kind of engine you put in there. Will the hood still fit? Does the engine have a lighting coil? I want to replace my engine also with a four stroke. Thanks!

Post by 72 »

Its a chineese copy of a honda gx200, you can get them at harbor freight for like $120-130. The hood fits but requires a little trimming so does the console. I read that you can use a lighting coil off a gx340 or copy. It only weighs like 6 lbs. more than the kawasaki. There is alot of info on the web about these, do a search for "honda clone". These engines are rated at 6.5 hp out of the box, I followed the basic mods that alot of people are doing like gov. removal, pipe, opening up airbox, and jeting up. These same mods have dynoed at over 8 hp on other peoples engines. Even with 12-30 gearing it can lift the skis about 2" coming out of the hole with my boy on it, pretty brutal. If I had to do it over again I would of went with the smaller gx160 copy.

catman20

Post by catman20 »

Thanks for the reply. I would like to put a stock Honda GX120 in mine except for rerouting the exhaust. Would that have enough power? Did you need to make an adapter plate to mount the engine? Anything special to hook up throttle besides return spring? Is the shaft size the same for clutch? Thanks again!!!! Looks great!

Post by 72 »

The 120 should have enough power. A stock kitty engine is around 3 hp, the 120 is like 4.5 . They put them in some of the newer 120 sleds. You will have to make a mount for the engine. Mine is setting around 12 degrees (to get it to fit) some karters run them up to 15. There is a half dozen ways to hook up the throttle depending on if you run it with the gov. or not. Im not sure about the pto size of the 120's, a new clutch is only like 30 bucks. Check out some quarter midget sites they use the 120 and 160's. The pipe will probably have to be made also (most of them face towards the back). There are places that sell the exhaust flange for fabing a custom exaust, or maybe take a look at whats available for the 120 sleds.

Post by 72 »

Just to refresh for the new people
chrisrug

Post by chrisrug »

I just did the same thing on my 2005. It needed a spark plug coil for $200 so i spent 145 on an engine , clutch and chain. I managed to keep stock throttle, brake and kill switch. The front of engine mounted to crossmember while rear went on stock mounting plate. Too easy!!! It goes about 15 mph with me on it(210 lbs) and has gobs of torque to spin the track. I still need to rejet carb/build airbox.
chrisrug

Post by chrisrug »

i meant 97