We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Frozen Track and Chain Tensioner Question

Kitty Cat chat area, almost anything goes but keep it clean and snowmobile related.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

bkosaian

Frozen Track and Chain Tensioner Question

Post by bkosaian »

Spent the entire day on the lake with the little ones. The 1999 KC is a big hit with both the kids and the adults! Near the end of the day I noticed the KC was slowing down and then eventually would not move at all. I brought the KC into the garage and found the track completely iced up. I could not believe how much snow and ice I removed. After a good thaw put the kids on it and we were back in business. Anyone ever experience this? Any way to prevent it from happening again? Also I removed the clutch/chain cover, thinking I had a clutch problem and noticed the chain tensioner is only riding on half of the chain. I tried to tighten the nut that holds the tensioner on the stud coming from the tunnel but that still did nothing, would a new tensioner solve the problem? Should I bend the stud a bit to align it? Thank you in advance for your help.
snoeproe

Post by snoeproe »

Your chain tensioner may be getting worn.
I put a washer behind the nut that holds the tensioner on and it seems to hold it more flush under the chain
1977 Kitty Cat
1992 Kitty Cat