We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

1978 Idle Problem

Carburetors - adjust, rebuild, repair, etc.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

Asherrick

1978 Idle Problem

Post by Asherrick »

I have a 1978 KK. I have cleaned the Carb inside and out. Readjusted the Air Screw and the pilot screw to previous settings. It fired up and ran great, for 10 minutes. Now it will start, but only runs for 15 seconds than shuts off. When you attempt to engage the throttle it boggs and shuts off. Not sure if the air screw and pilot screw need to be readjusted????
buzillamini

Post by buzillamini »

Just went through all of the same thing. I had to turn the air screw out to 2 turns and it runs great now. I did have other issues prior to all of this. Had to replace points and condenser (throw them out and get the crossover cdi system from Blaster on here) also had a bad crank seal. Nothing like the look on your 4 year olds face when they grab a handfull of throttle and go over the handle bar because the thing is running in reverse, Priceless! Then she got up brushed the snow out of her helmet kicked the hood and yelled across the yard "fix this darn thing NOW!" I get tears from laughing just telling the story.
snoeproe

Post by snoeproe »

Having similar issues myself with a 77 kitty.
carb has been disassembled twice and cleaned, all orfaces blown through with air.
This sled ran like a top last winter. Carb had a new needle, float, float pin and gaskets last year.
This year it will not start worth a darn. If i pull the spark plug and crank it a few times then reinstall the plug it will sometimes fire and iddle ok till you touch the throttle and it dies. For the life of me I cant tell if it starving for fuel or flooded. Adding fuel in the plug hole does not make it fire yet when I pull the plug, it does not appear to be dripping wet.
Very frustrating.
1977 Kitty Cat
1992 Kitty Cat