We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Clutch question

Kitty Cat chat area, almost anything goes but keep it clean and snowmobile related.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

steve0

Clutch question

Post by steve0 »

Hello,

I have a 1995 Kitty and it was running great this morning until my son called me over because it wouldn't move.

There was a huge chunk of ice underneath and the track wouldn't turn. I got the ice out and the tracks turns by hand. The track also turns inconsistently using the throttle. If I lift up the back it turns using the throttle. If my son gets on it on the snow it won't go.

Could the clutch be blown from him trying to drive it with that chunk of ice stuck under it? How long do clutches last? I just put a new one on before last season.

Anything else that could be going on?

Thanks,

Steve

Post by 72 »

From what you described I would guess something is sheared. Drivers or driver pins, sprocket pin or clutch key (clutch key is unlikely).

Pull the chain/sprocket cover and see if the chain and driven sprocket is turning when you give it gas, if it does and the track isnt turning when siting on it then look at the shaft that the driven sprocket is attached to if that shaft isnt turning with the sprocket then the sprocket pin is sheared, if the shaft is turning with the sprocket then the drivers or driver pins are sheared (most likely the drivers).
steve0

Post by steve0 »

Thanks for the reply! I will have to pull the cover later today after work.

After posting yesterday I suspected the clutch was the problem, so I removed the chain cover to take a look at and remove the clutch.

What I noticed was that the screw in the middle of the clutch(holding it to the shaft) was loose. I could hand turn it out. After removing the chain I removed the clutch and noticed what looked like metal shavings or dust in the keyway of the shaft.

I was hoping that the loose screw may have been the culprit, so I tightened it and put everything back together. When I was putting it back together I turned the track by hand to get the masterlink/chain back together. When I did that the sprocket did move when the track moved.

I put it all back together and fired it up. The track would move using the throttle and holding up the back of the sled. The track even moved with me walking next to it to get it out to the yard so my son could ride it. As soon as he got on to ride it, it wouldn't move.
steve0

Post by steve0 »

I just wanted to post an update.

After further inspection I found that the drive sprocket(white sprocket on track) was out of alignment. The sprocket parts that should be lined up with the track were not lined up. I had to push the sprocket back on the axle where the pins are that align it.

I did that and took it for a ride. It worked fine with no one on it. A little weight on it and the sprocket jumped off the track again. I found that the track was loose. I took out some slack to tighten it and all is good.

Sorry if my description of the parts involved wasn't accurate. I'm not really sure what some of the parts are called.

-Steve

Post by 72 »

steve0 wrote:I just wanted to post an update.

After further inspection I found that the drive sprocket(white sprocket on track) was out of alignment. The sprocket parts that should be lined up with the track were not lined up. I had to push the sprocket back on the axle where the pins are that align it.

I did that and took it for a ride. It worked fine with no one on it. A little weight on it and the sprocket jumped off the track again. I found that the track was loose. I took out some slack to tighten it and all is good.

Sorry if my description of the parts involved wasn't accurate. I'm not really sure what some of the parts are called.

-Steve
There is a pin on each side of those sprockets/drivers, if the sprocket moved then one of the pins are missing/broke. You should look into that.
steve0

Post by steve0 »

72 wrote:
steve0 wrote:I just wanted to post an update.

-Steve
There is a pin on each side of those sprockets/drivers, if the sprocket moved then one of the pins are missing/broke. You should look into that.
Thanks for the reply. I just posted a new thread regarding what I thought was a different issue. On the sprocket closest to the chain I only have a pin in the axle on the inside(right side of the sprocket). Are you saying there should be a pin on both sides of the sprocket?

How do I fix this? A new axle?

Thank you again.

-Steve

Post by 72 »

Sometimes you can drive the old broken pin out with a new pin. The question you have to ask is why this pin has failed. If it was me I would remove the shaft and replce all the pins. In your situation I would buy some small hose clamps and position/clamp one of them on thr driven shaft that will not let the sprocket shift over. Really that sprocket is screwed so live with it as long as you can (keep the kids happy). Each sprocket pin carries 25% of the load, there are 4 of them they wear into the sprockets over time.
steve0

Post by steve0 »

Thanks again. Is it possible to replace the sprocket and pins?

How hard is it to remove the shaft? From what I can tell it involves removing the chain sprocket. How much more involved is it? I don't mean to minimize it, but I don't want to get in over my head either.

My son that rides this one just turned 5, so we will have it for a while and makes sense to fix it the right way.

Could that ice chunk I talked about earlier cause a pin to go? I'm sure what else could be going on.

In the interim, I like the hose clamp idea. Will the hose clamp interfere with the track?

Thanks,

Steve

Post by 72 »

Its easier to pull the driven shaft to replace the pins, the pins are 1/8" roll pins 1 1/8" or 1 1/4" long. A little trick I have done in the past is to put a hose clamps (1 1/4" ID) around the hubs of the plastic drivers (sprockets) where the pins contact them. This gives a little reinforcement to that area and keeps the plastic from deforming as much.