We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

1995 Kitty Cat Go Faster Please

Kitty Cat chat area, almost anything goes but keep it clean and snowmobile related.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

kittycatrider

1995 Kitty Cat Go Faster Please

Post by kittycatrider »

My 7 year old asked me if I could speed his sled up he's been riding it since he was 4 and it still fits him great. Can anyone tell me what this may need to accomplish this. I figured some sort of govenor adjustment and maybe different sprocket and drive chain? Please advise...thank you!
Bob S

Re: 1995 Kitty Cat Go Faster Please

Post by 72 »

kittycatrider wrote:My 7 year old asked me if I could speed his sled up he's been riding it since he was 4 and it still fits him great. Can anyone tell me what this may need to accomplish this. I figured some sort of govenor adjustment and maybe different sprocket and drive chain? Please advise...thank you!
How much do you want to spend and how fast you want to go? Those are the question that will help you find your options.
kittycatrider

Post by kittycatrider »

I dont want to sink a ton into it...I may look for a 120 and keep the Kitty for my daughter. Are there some simple things i can do and keep the cost under $100? To everyone reading this I send this message to two different areas on the post, as I am new to posting and thought I did not send the first one under the engine section. Sorry I am a rookie!
Bob S

Post by 72 »

A 13 or 14 tooth clutch should get you around 2 more mph and can be had for under 100 bucks. One that has an engagment a few 100 rpm over stock will help with the takeoff that will suffer with the ratio change. If the rider is under 50 lbs. you might be able to go with a 15 tooth if you stay away from hills and really deep snow.

If you have a tachometer you could adjust the gov. alittle. I have run these engines up to 6600 rpms (600 over stock) with no isssues. That should get you about another 1 mph with the clutch change.
harryparatestis

Post by harryparatestis »

Slip a zip tie through the governor spring and it will go a little faster, definitely change out the sprocket, I would change the big sprocket, before I would buy a clutch with a different size drive gear (just my opinion) you should be able to get more then 1-2 mph out if it, more like 6-7mph
"Any day above dirt is a good one"

Post by 72 »

A 32 tooth driven sprocket is about as small as you would want to go with stock clutch engaugement. Anything smaller will totally kill take off. Even with that change you will have to twist the engine up to around 8000 rpm to get a 5 mph increase. At that engine speed your risking burning up the big end rod bearing but even if that is able to survive you would still have to increase the carbs needle and seat size to prevent fuel starvation and possibility rejet depending on your conditions.

The hilliard extreme duty clutch has a 2300 rpm engaugement, thats about 100-200 rpm over stock and that equals about 200-400 engine rpm difference (due to the gear reduction). This difference will help with take off that will suffer due to the ratio change. You can also get replacement sprockets up to 19T. The cost of the clutch is around 30-40 bucks and sprockets are 22-25 ( depending where you shop). So a clutch with lets say a 14 tooth sprocket will be around $60-75 with shipping, not much more than changing the driven sprocket and you get a new/ better/ tuneable clutch.

If you want a really cheap route you could just weld a smaller "off the shelf" sprocket ($7-15) to the driven shaft or remove the driven shaft weld up the sprocket pin hole and machine a key slot for the same sprocket.