We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Improved steering plates (spindle cranks)

Buy, sell, or look for parts that are scarce and no longer available.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

Improved steering plates (spindle cranks)

Post by 72 »

While not being satisfied with the fit of new steering plates (spindle cranks), I decided to have some better ones made. These are laser cut 1/4" cold rolled steel, that are slightly undersized in the corners, I had the flats cut at an 8" radius to provide more material to makeup for what would wear on the spindle (they average .003-.005" narrower). Some slight filing may be required as they are undersized and no two spindles are worn the same. If your spindles are extremely worn then these probably wont help you as much. The pic shows how they compare to an old wornout plate. They are $16 a pair shipped to the lower 48. PM or E-mail Jkav72@msn.com I take pay-pal and if you are reading this I still have some set left. Thanks for looking

drisok

Post by drisok »

As always excellent work! Picked up another KC and will be checking these to see if I need replacements. If so I will buy a pair.

Do you still have the lift kits available? Werent you going to make the spindles as well to go witht he lift kit?

Post by 72 »

If your steering plates are not too worn sometimes you can tighten them up with some "peening" of the spindles corners with a center punch. It will move a little bit of metal but the plates are usually too worn. The red circles show the general areas, oh, and have the plates in place when doing this or they might not go back on. I had these made last February and put what I had left over away, only to find them last week. Thanks for the kind words.

Post by 72 »

Still have a few sets left. Is there anyone who bought these want to comment on them?