We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

Still can't get my kitty to idle properly!!

Carburetors - adjust, rebuild, repair, etc.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

brad6

Still can't get my kitty to idle properly!!

Post by brad6 »

Hi, I've got a 92 KC that t can't seem to get to idle with out the choke being on. It runs nice smooth with the choke, but once you shut the choke off it quits. I have cleaned the carb many times now, replaced the float, new needle and seat, tube etc. No luck. I've also replaced the crank seals as well. Even tried 91 octance mixed @ 40:1 didn't seem to help either. I'm not sure what i need to do. :?

Post by 72 »

Sounds like your sucking air, crank seals are the likely culprit but sounds like you have eliminated them as a possibility. Carb gaskets, cylinder base gaskets?
brad6

Post by brad6 »

i also have replaced the 2 gaskets and spacer on the carb flange and newe gasket on the bowl as well. How do i check the other base gasket that you are refering to??

Post by 72 »

brad6 wrote:i also have replaced the 2 gaskets and spacer on the carb flange and newe gasket on the bowl as well. How do i check the other base gasket that you are refering to??

You could pull the cylinder to inspect its condition (its the gasket between the cylinder and crank case). What I typicaly do is spray starting fluid or carb cleaner around suspected leak areas while the engine is running and listen for the rpm to increase. The winter before last I have had a newly installed crank seal on the ignition side work its way out after only 5 min. of run time. I will say It did seem to go in a little too easy (and the previous one was was also pushed out). I ended up puting a little (very little) gaskget shellac on the mating surfaces and used a prick punch (at 4 points around the outside lip of the seal pocket) to interupt some metal in the hopes to hold it in better. The guy I did this for has not brought the sled back so I guess it worked out ok. Hope this helps.