We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

1973 with fuel / carb problems

Carburetors - adjust, rebuild, repair, etc.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

rpm33

1973 with fuel / carb problems

Post by rpm33 »

Hi all...had our '73 out today with the wheel kit and my son ran it for about 20 minutes until it bogged.

I cleaned the fuel shut off valve which was a bit gunked up. Fuel is flowing down the line, but slowly. It will now start only by me pouring fuel into the cylinder, then dies again.

A couple things:
- the springed pin in the top of the carb is all the way up, and pulls all the way out of the carb when lifted out (shouldn't this be held in?)
- the adjustment screws were "messed with" by my 8 year old when I went in the house (he thought he was helping!)

Can anyone give me help on both of these? I'd like to know about the pin in the tp of the carb, and also how to re-set the adjustment screws on the carb.

Thanks

Re: 1973 with fuel / carb problems

Post by 72 »

The first thing I would do Is clean the entire fuel system, flushout the tank remove the shutoff (some have a filter screen). Throughly clean the carb, replace fuel line, then verify you have proper flow, do this with the cap on (venting of the cap can sometimes cause flow issues) . The spring pin is a primer or sometimes refered to as a tickler. By pushing it down forces the float to open up the fuel inlet for the bowl. It should not just pull out, when you pull the bowl off the carb you should see where (I think) a retaining clip goes that holds it in. There is a small 90 degree hose barb on the side of the carb that should dump fuel when the pin in pushed down for more than a few seconds. The screw closest to the cylinder (air screw) should be removed when you clean the carb. If you run it all the way in and then open 2 full turns that should get you close enough to get running. The other screw (idle) sets the idle speed by the carbs butterfly position. If not set correctly the sled could take off when started, if you run it about half way in that should get you started, but be aware that the sled could take off on you. Pulling the chain would be the safest if you are unsure. To set the idle screw, back it out untill the engine rpm is below where the clutch engauges and the engine stays running without having to bump the throttle. Hope this helps.
rpm33

Thank you

Post by rpm33 »

It sure does help - thank you. I thought that taking the carb apart would be a good idea, then my 4 year old said, "you can put it back together, right dad?" With that, I paused and thought twice. With your post, I'll give it a try. Thanks again.