We will be refreshing and updating the forum over the next few weeks. You can still register and talk sleds...

carb

Carburetors - adjust, rebuild, repair, etc.

Moderators: Old School, harryparatestis

troy2309

carb

Post by troy2309 »

my machine starts and then dies, replaced crank seals anyone have a carb for a 72 kawasaki t5a. thanks troy 8)
Curtis

Post by Curtis »

It's not your carb that is the problem. Everyone has this problem and they think it's a carb or seals, but Kitty Cats were desinged to run for a few minutes and die. Don't ask me why, but most of them do that. Whats wrong is the carb isn't getting enough fuel. What you have to do is tap a vacuum line into your crankcase, and run a vacuum pump. In the line going from the pump into the carb, you need to put in an on/off switch and run it a quarter of the way open. I have done this to mine, and it will run all day without dying. Any questions, e-mail me at Curt_gagas@hotmail.com
Curtis
CRAIG

FUEL PUMP

Post by CRAIG »

A STCOK KITTY CAT WILL RUN AND IDLE WITHOUT ANDING A FUEL PUMP. THE OLD KAWY'S HAVE SMALL OR JETTING HOLES THROUGH THE CARB THAT CAN GET PLUGGED OVER THE
YEAR'S. DOE'S IT RUN IF YOU HOLD THE THOTTLE WIDE OPEN? HAVE YOU DONE COMPRESSION TEST YET? IF SO WHAT'S YOUR READING?
I BILT DOZEN'S OF THESE MOTOR'S AND SUZUKI'S AND NEVER ADDED A PUMP,UNLESS IT'S A MOD MOTOR!
Curtis

Post by Curtis »

I did a compression test on mine and it was 105psi. I cleaned the carb many times, including all the jetting holes. It would idle fine but once you opened the throttle it would die. The motor had all new seals in it. So, I put the pump in and now it works fine, and it doesn't take much to do. I have done this to both a Kawa and a Suzuki. I know it will run and idle without a pump, but you can't move when your idling. My suggestion would be to put in the pump, it only costs about 30 bucks, and a half hour of your time.
troy

Re: FUEL PUMP

Post by troy »

CRAIG wrote:A STCOK KITTY CAT WILL RUN AND IDLE WITHOUT ANDING A FUEL PUMP. THE OLD KAWY'S HAVE SMALL OR JETTING HOLES THROUGH THE CARB THAT CAN GET PLUGGED OVER THE
YEAR'S. DOE'S IT RUN IF YOU HOLD THE THOTTLE WIDE OPEN? HAVE YOU DONE COMPRESSION TEST YET? IF SO WHAT'S YOUR READING?
I BILT DOZEN'S OF THESE MOTOR'S AND SUZUKI'S AND NEVER ADDED A PUMP,UNLESS IT'S A MOD MOTOR!
Thanks Craig i will check those things out and get back to you! I did clean the carb but there were one or 2 really small ones i did'nt have a screwdriver for :)

Post by Guest »

Curtis wrote:It's not your carb that is the problem. Everyone has this problem and they think it's a carb or seals, but Kitty Cats were desinged to run for a few minutes and die. Don't ask me why, but most of them do that. Whats wrong is the carb isn't getting enough fuel. What you have to do is tap a vacuum line into your crankcase, and run a vacuum pump. In the line going from the pump into the carb, you need to put in an on/off switch and run it a quarter of the way open. I have done this to mine, and it will run all day without dying. Any questions, e-mail me at Curt_gagas@hotmail.com
Curtis

Designed to run and die?? That is ridiculous!! Sounds like something someone would say if they couldn't actually figure out what was causing it. How about checking the vent in the gas tank or the pilot jet oriface. I would wager to guess if a kitty engine uses gas faster than it can run out of the tank under the earths gravitational pull, you better back the wastegate on the turbocharger down......